Dr. Frank R. Malin has been honored with a $5 million donation to the Saint Francis Hospital Foundation — the largest in the history of the Foundation. Dr. Malin is a cardiologist at Saint Francis Hospital in San Francisco.
After graduating from the University of Minnesota Medical School in 1970, Dr. Malin completed his internship at St. Paul-Ramsey Hospital, and his residency at the University of Minnesota Hospitals. He then moved to San Francisco, where he completed a fellowship in cardiology at the VA Hospital, and University of California San Francisco, and joined Saint Francis in 1977.
The grateful donor, Mr. Charles Gibbs, became a patient at the hospital in 1950, and was under Dr. Malin’s care for more than 30 years. Mr. Gibbs made the gift in honor of the extraordinary care he and other patients received from Dr. Malin over the course of his career. The generous donation will go toward improvements in the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU), which will also be renamed in honor of Dr. Malin.
Dr. Malin is an exemplary physician whose commitment, over the course of his 35 years at Saint Francis went far beyond his cardiology practice; he helped guide the mission and vision of the busy downtown community hospital as Chief of Staff and Chairman of the Saint Francis Board of Trustees. Dr. Malin built trusted relationships with his patients, with care, compassion and skill, developing bonds that last a lifetime. He retired in June 2012, but still sees a number of patients at the hospital.