In Pursuit of Effective Best Practices for Out of School Time Symposium with
ROBERT GRANGER, Ed.D., President of the William T. Grant Foundation
* This event has been recorded and will be available here in the coming weeks.
Why do some out-of-school programs improve youth outcomes while others do not? What practices seem to make a difference? What are the implications for improving program quality? Bob Granger discusses what is known about these questions, drawing on research in K-12 education, mentoring, and after-school.
YWI Hosts "Get Connected" Networking Event
The Youth Work Institute and Mentoring Partnership of Minnesota recently hosted the Get Connected Series: "Realizing Your Impact" networking event. The series was created to:
• Promote professional development opportunities to Youth Workers and Mentors
• Build a community of support for youth workers and mentors
• Connect youth workers and mentors to the larger field of youth development, policy, research and trends
• Provide networking opportunities and identify ways to leverage resources and increase programming
• Connect with youth workers and volunteer mentors to encourage their work as a career of choice & cultivate their commitment to the field for years to come
The diverse group of youth workers and mentors attending represented a wide range of organizations in performing arts, employment, tutoring, parks and recreation, AmeriCorps promise fellows, juvenile justice and policy. Community youth workers and mentors shared stories about themselves, their program and why they cared about their work. Presenters shared stories of lifelong passion and commitment to young people and how it had changed their perspective on life.