Leadership week 13

When being a leader details matter. It is good to focus on the big picture of what you are trying to accomplish but the little things also affect the outcome of your goals. Steve Jobs is an example of a successful leader. He was not only incredibly smart and proactive he also utilized team work efficiently to make his apple products as near perfect as possible. Diversity is also another important aspect of Job's team that he encouraged. He had people from all different backgrounds working for him so they all brought something different to the table.

Group work and leadership go hand in hand. The methods of group work include, "Virtual communities and social capital,Bridging versus bonding social capital, Multiplex relationships, Meeting offline, Using the internet to form offline groups of like-minded people, meeting face-to-face". All those methods include working with people who have the same goals as you and being in an environment where you can interact with them. Another form mentioned is virtual group work. Virtual group work is more exclusive where multiple people can meet other people. In group work where you are face to face with other people there tends to be more inclusive relationships being formed where people will only talk to certain people. Depending on the situation and the people, both forms of interaction can potentially be successful. Communication and the building of relationships is a strong factor in the success or failure of group work. (http://www.tandfonline.com.ezp2.lib.umn.edu/doi/full/10.1080/13691180903468954#tabModule)

This week's definition I added notes from the reading. I added methods of interaction in groups because I think that a lot of leadership opportunities come up in groups. That's usually where there is a leader, and leadership is often necessary for a group to achieve a common goal.

Leadership week 12

Another way of approaching leadership and group work in general is the concept of intentional efforts. Intentional efforts make change possible. If one aspires to change something to what they desire than an intentional effort must be made, so that desired change becomes attainable and in turn successful. An important aspect of being a leader is wanting to see change happen and being motivated to apply yourself and achieve your goals.

This week's definition changed from lasts' because I added an example of a successful leader. I also included the value of diversity in my definition of leadership. Finally, I emphasized the importance of details when being a leader.

Leadership week 11

My definition of leadership is being courageous enough to represent something that one believes in or is passionate and enthusiastic about. It is setting an example and taking on the role of bringing together a group of people however big or small for a common cause. Leadership is also having the ability to guide others and portray the image that you are willing to support and take control in the hopes of succeeding. Positive versus negative leadership has a big impact on the success achieved in an area of work that requires leadership. There are 6 styles of leadership. Those are the coercive style, authoritative, affiliative, democratic, pace-setting and the coaching style.Of all of those coercive is the least effective.
One's values have a significant impact on their values as a leader. Part of being a good leader involves being aware of what you need to accomplish and how you're going to go about doing that. Our actions speak louder than our words so present yourself in a manner that will be respected by others. There are many different forms of leadership. It is up to the individual to decide what works best for them depending on the situation they are placed in.

I added a new paragraph for this week's definition. What changed is that through this week's readings I learned that there are many different forms of leadership and I included that in my definition. In the article Deciding what you believe (Terry, R. (n.d.). Deciding what you believe http://eres.lib.umn.edu/eres/coursepage.aspx?cid=2195&page=docs) those forms are discussed.

Our individual ethical reasoning or knowing right from wrong plays a crucial role in the ways in which we lead. Part of being a good leader is knowing how your actions will affect others, which is also an important part of establishing our personal ethics.Right vs. right is also an important part of being a leader, which is doing what's truly right and noble or factoring in how you will affect another individual.

For this week's definition what changed was I added ethics to my definition of leadership. Knowing whats right as opposed to wrong is important when being a leader. I also added right vs. right because I think it's a key issue when being established as a leader. This week's readings were very insightful because it helped me to see that the personal morals/ethics can have a big impact on how a leader leads.(Rushworth, K.M.(n.d.) How Good People Make Tough Choices http://eres.lib.umn.edu/eres/coursepage.aspx?cid=2195&page=docs)

Part of being a good leader involves practicing adaptive leadership.People who utilize adaptive leadership "seize the opportunity of moments like the current one to hit the organization's reset button. They use the turbulence of the present to build on and bring closure to the past. In the process, they change key rules of the game, reshape parts of the organization, and redefine the work people do " (Heifetz, Ronald,Grashow, Alexander Linsky, Marty Leadership in a Permanent Crisis). Effective leaders progress in their work. Leaders encourage others to learn from each other and put their strengths to use. It is beneficial to leaders to adapt to their surroundings when learning and be open to the opinion of others as well as continue to learn in their role as leader.

This week's definition changed because I added adaptive leadership to my definition. Adaptive leadership was one of the topics discussed in this week's reading. I also added other characteristics that I felt would be beneficial for leaders to acquire.

Leadership is more successful with a collaborative effort. When a group of people share the same goals and values it is more likely that they will reach their goals.Leadership requires commitment. Being committed to achieving something means being wholeheartedly passionate about being successful.It is advantageous to be aware of your own beliefs and what it is exactly that you want to accomplish when trying to be an effective leader. (Astin, H. S., & Astin, A. W. (1996). A social change model of leadership development: Guidebook (version III) (pp. 4 - 27). Los Angeles: University of California Los Angeles Higher Education Research Institute).

For this weeks definition I added a few key points that I found in this week's reading. After the reading I became aware of the fact that being a leader is more successful if you have a greater number of people supporting and working alongside you.

Successful leadership requires being aware of the situation that you face and how you are going to solve it. It is also beneficial if you are flexible and disciplined when immersed in the situation that requires you to be a leader. While being a leader it is advantageous to be open and curious of the opinions and suggestions of those around you.Connecting with other people when being a leader helps you to see things from a different perspective. Providing honest feedback and input to those people who you are working with helps you to build a strong relationship with them that will help you to progress and improve in your role as a leader.Leadership is a collaborative effort. It is essential to utilize every individual's strengths so that a comfortable and efficient environment is created.

This week's definition I added on what I felt to be relevant and key themes to the characteristics of being a leader/leadership that I identified in this week's reading. This reading provided me with essential aspects of being a efficient leader.

Being a good leader means understanding the value of team work.Groups are useful in bringing in different perspectives and opinions into a situation so that the leader and the group can find the most effective solution to the problem that they are trying to solve. There is also the concept of virtual groups. Virtual groups utilize present day technology to bring together people who share a common goal. It is efficient and convenient for most people.Virtual groups work best if everyone can trust each other in doing their part in the group. Although, you are not face to face in the concept of a virtual group it is still necessary to develop a working relationship with people.

This week's definition I added on bits of information that I learned after reading the articles. I brought in the idea of virtual groups into my definition as well as what effective leadership is comprised of.

This week's definition I added a few points that I got from this week's reading. It was also applied to my portion of the group assignment.

Leadership week 10

Leadership week 8

Leadership week 7

Leadership week 6

Leadership week 5

Leadership week 4

Leadership weeks 1-3

Recent Comments

• liamradcliff@gmail.com: agree with your thinking process read more