Examining Your Life

Imagine you are lying in bed with your friends and family all around you. You are gravely ill and about to pass away. Who would be surrounding you? What kind of things are they saying about how you have lived your life? Suppose you could decide how others might sum up your life. Imagine if you could choose who would be there to support you in your final days. How would you like your epitaph to read? Here are some sample epitaphs. Are there any that fit your life? Are there any which might inspire a change in the direction of your life?

Famous Epitaphs:
- "Nothing's so sacred as honor and nothing's so loyal as love." -Wyatt & Josephine Earp

- "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it" -Karl Marx

- "A genius of comedy, his talent brought joy and laughter to all the world" -Oliver Hardy

Other possible epitaphs:
- Lived adventurously * Died fulfilled.

- She embraced life and followed her dreams to the end.

Posted by at November 6, 2005 4:50 PM

Favorite epitaph....

"I told you I didn't feel well"

Couldn't resist sending this one.

SMF

Posted by: SMF at August 28, 2006 10:41 PM

Great site, Becky Mooney.

Keep up the good work.

S.M.F.

Posted by: S.M.F. at June 13, 2006 11:22 PM

Becky,

This may not be in keeping with the general tenor of your listed epitaphs but it is one of my favorites.

"I knew this would happen."
Epitaph on tombstone, (McCarthy) in Shanganagh cemetery, County Dublin

Posted by: Mike Hayden at May 7, 2006 11:17 AM

Thank you for your comments Mr. Keller. Although appreciated for the creativity of these quotes, the purpose of the epitaphs was to perhaps tip a few individuals into reaching out and grasping what they might have only dreamed of. I'm hoping they will think about what they could yet accomplish before regretting not doing so on their death bed.

I chose these epitaphs specifically because they talk about how the deceased lived a life fulfilled. In thinking about your own life as it is lived now, how would your epitaph read? If you were inspired to take a chance, shake things up, examine your values closely and make changes accordingly, how might your epitaph read differently?

Posted by: Becky Mooney at November 7, 2005 1:51 PM

Is it a good sign for a blog to use Epitaphs for it's inaugural rollout? Wouldn't it be better to user famous introductory comments or memorable commencement speeches such as:

"As the years pass your generation will be judged and you will begin to judge yourselves not only on what you do for yourself and your family, but on the contributions you make to others -- to your country, your communities, your generation of children." --- Bill Clinton

"My that's a lovely baby you have there Mrs. Churchill" --- Mrs. Churchillís Doctor

"So I have just one wish for you -- the good luck to be somewhere where you are free to maintain the kind of integrity I have described, and where you do not feel forced by a need to maintain your position in the organization, or financial support, or so on, to lose your integrity. May you have that freedom." --- Mr. Feynman

Posted by: Peter C. Keller at November 7, 2005 1:33 PM

Remember personal info?