« The Strangers | Main | Fright Night »

A Nightmare on Elm Street

I'm doing a bit of a backtrack today, to show my taste in horror movies. I know this movie came out in 1984, but that doesn't mean it's not a great horror gem. Plus it provided us with a super-sexy Johnny Depp, who people seem to forget stars as the unable-to-stay-awake boyfriend. He also proves that even with a gruesome and memorable death scene, Johnny can still be incredibly sexy.
Let me just start off by saying, I love this movie. I really, really love it. I think I've seen it 20+ times, and it's the first old school horror movie I suggest when people want to watch a slasher. This movie is what all supernatural slasher flicks try to emulate. Not only is Freddy Krueger genuinely frightening, but he has a sense of humor on top of it all. Although this seemed to be his downfall in the sequels ("Welcome to prime time, bitch."), in the first movie, it really worked ("I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy!") Yes, most of my generation will not appreciate this movie because, I know, the effects are seriously dated, and the acting is truly atrocious, but the concept is just too good to pass up. A killer who gets you in your dreams? It's brilliant, because everybody sleeps, therefore there is no escape from Freddy.
Some of the scenes are just brilliantly done. A few of my favorites:
Tina showing up in a body bag during English class, with Nancy following her into the hallway. The hall monitor dressed in Freddy's sweater is so scary, and Heather Langenkamp saying "Screw your hall pass!" is so stupid, that it's possibly my favorite scene of the movie.
The infamous and classic bath tub scene. This still scares me. The sexual connotations and bottomless bathtub are so perfect, and I think they really show the true terror of the movie.
The fact that Nancy always calls her mom "Moth-er." Always gets me.
Tina's death, and her boyfriend reaching ridiculously to the ceiling and yelling, "Nooooooooo!" He's such an idiot.
I know it's stupid to review a movie that's been out for over 20 years, but it holds such a special place in my heart as a great genre-starter and wonderful Friday night date movie. (I know, I'm weird.)
The thing I love the most about this film is that you can see its influence on many, many horror movies and how the style has changed since it came out. But honestly, I could watch this movie a hundred times and not get bored with it.
In conclusion, if you haven't seen it, please do. And if you have, see it again.