« Bucket List | Main | The Host (Korea) »

Infection (Japan)

Another entry in my long-list of semi-watchable J-Horror.  That was a lot of hyphenation.  Since I've basically run out of American horror that isn't horrendous and doesn't star the latest teen scream queen, I've moved on.  It's a significant part of my life, the transition from American horror to foreign horror.

It's not that the movie was bad; it's that the movie could have been so much better.  Sure, it had some gross-outs and some genuine scares, but there seems to be this idea that pervades all horror, in the U.S. and abroad, that any and all scary movies or thrillers must have twist endings to be worth anything.  And it's absolutely not true.  Why can't they just go with the predictable "everybody gets away" or "everybody dies" solutions?  It's worked so many times before, why wouldn't it work now?

So Infection is about (you guessed it) an infection in a hospitable somewhere in Japan.  The doctors have no idea what this disease is all about, but they quarantine themselves in the hospital nonetheless.  They don't contact any outside help, because apparently they are geniuses and don't need anyone but themselves.  So a guy dies because they used the wrong injection or something, and the girl who did it keeps freaking out.  The hospital is tinged with green lighting, which you know provides the perfect atmosphere for horror.  I've always said, a better decorating scheme could prevent up to 90% of the terrible things that happen to people in horror movies.  Monsters and murderers and diseases don't want to attack a nice little suburban home with a white picket fence.  They want the creepy hospital, the lake cabin in the middle of nowhere, the house at night left with just a babysitter, the subway station when no one is around.

Anyway, the disease turns people into zombie-type things or something, and their blood is green and squirts all over the place.  I guess that was worth watching, but not much else was worth the time.  Also, none of the characters were clearly developed and it was hard to know who they were talking about half the time.  Although one girl does eat "dumplings" that turn out not to be dumplings at all.  Use your imagination to figure that one out.

I just realized that anyone reading any of my horror reviews must think I'm terribly screwed up from all this violence and fear and such.  I'm not though, at least not to my knowledge.  I'm taking a child psychology class, and they keep telling me the correlations between violence, aggression, and violent television.  But I've been watching violent TV and movies since I was about 3 years old.  And I've never hurt anyone.  I just enjoy horror movies.  I've discussed this before in an earlier review that I'm too lazy to look up, but you can find it yourself if you really feel it's necessary to read my anonymous ramblings again.  But basically, to answer my own question, I'm just a normal person who has a fascination with the human impulse towards the grotesque and the brutal.  And if that's weird, than I guess I have nothing else to say.