« Psycho | Main | Open Letter »

Werewolf Movies: Ginger Snaps

Thanks to Tammy for the comment…if I had known I would get the most responses to my Twilight reviews, I would have reviewed each book separately.  Don't worry, I haven't read the fourth yet (I'm dreading it) and I'll see the movie with my little sister.  The reviews will come soon after.

Can anyone even name a werewolf movie besides The Wolfman?  Are there any good ones out there, you may be asking yourself?  There are good werewolf movies, but they are few and far between.  There's just something about a half-wolf/half-man creature that just doesn't translate well to the screen.  Whether it's about special effects capabilities or just the blemish on werewolves' reputations that is Teen Wolf, there's just no longer a market for werewolves.  They're out of fashion, vampires are in again, so there's no room for another Universal monster-type.  But, lo and behold, out from the uppermost Northern regions of the cold, icy mistress that is Canada we have Ginger Snaps.  A clever play on words once you realize that the main character, Ginger, snaps and turns into a werewolf.  C'est drôle.  Using werewolfism as a metaphor for puberty is not a new idea (hello? turning into a werewolf once a month? blood? general irritation at the world? a woman turning into a snarling beast?  how sexist.), but the film certainly spices it up a bit with the inclusion of the Goth stereotypes and high school locations.  It also includes the wonderful Emily Perkins, who you may or may not remember from IT as Beverly Marsh.

The people need to be more aware of the options available to them concerning werewolf movies.  It is now my mission to preach, take it to the streets.  Don't rule them out yet, there are good ones.  I'm waiting for a full-on comeback.

I watched this movie with my little sister over the summer, and I remember being happy that we found a horror movie that we had never seen and that we actually enjoyed.  That doesn't happen too often, so maybe the far reaches of Mother Canada will be able to provide more horror for our insatiable thirst.  The atmosphere was good, the high school scenes, while not reflecting my own personal high school experience (I'm not a werewolf or a Canadian, the culture is just so very different), was still fun to watch (like a very warped DeGrassi episode), and the oblivious parents were great, especially when Brigitte and Ginger have to hide the dead body in the back yard.  The girls are Super Goths, so the parents don't ever suspect anything.  The girls often recreate gruesome death scenes in their kitchen or backyard just for shits and giggles, as young girls often do when exploring their identities.  Oh, kids.

My one complaint about this superior werewolf tribute would be the special effects involved in the creation of the creature herself.  Ginger has a tail when she's not a werewolf.  A little weird and disgusting, and I'm not really sure how it fits in with the whole werewolfism-as-menstruation metaphor.  I don't remember whether the werewolf was a puppet or computer generated, but either way it wasn't that great.  But oddly, it didn't detract from the film.  Still a good one to watch during a full moon.

suck balls bitch

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this site. I'm hoping the same high-grade site post from you in the upcoming also. In fact your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my own website now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a great example of it.