Old building, new spaces

We are accustomed to thinking that all growth and new facilities are the result of new construction on campus. Occasionally, old spaces are made to serve new purposes. With the construction of the Central Corridor Light Rail on campus, the former Mayo Memorial Building parking garage is in the process of being redesigned to house sensitive laboratory equipment away from the rail line.


Above the garage, the former Mayo Circle is now in the process of being converted into an all-pedestrian space to also mitigate vibration for the laboratories.


img0179.jpg


Below are a few photographs of the same space during the original construction in 1950 & 1951.


img0180.jpg
Looking NE toward Harvard St. with Owre & Millard in the background. 1950


img0181.jpg
Looking SW toward Elliot & Eustis. 1951


img0182.jpg
Looking SW toward Elliot & Eustis under a layer of snow. 1951

Leave a comment

Monthly Entries

History Map

Academic Health Center

University Libraries

The AHC History Project is a collaborative effort between the Academic Health Center and the University Libraries.