July 04 2006 trip

Woww.. Its been an year since I blogged.. Did I do anything the whole year ?? Nah.. nothing.. visited a lot of places though.. Went to North Shore trip (Duluth, Lutsen, Grand Marais and Gunflint trail) in September, visited India in January, drove to South Dakota (Badlands, Mount Rushmore and Custer State Park) in May 06.

The recent trip was a blast.. had lots of fun.. scenic drives, beautiful outlooks, beaches, food, mafia... name anything.. we might have done that.. if you are wondering about mafia, its just a game..

It all started from Phoenix where the gang met. We met Prasad in Phoenix, stayed over at his place that night and started to Grand Canyon early in the morning. The drive to canyon was awesome.. hills.. forests.. We travelled in two cars(rental van and prasad's car) and guess what happens.. we got split.. we took a different route (entered the south rim from the eastern gate), in the van and the ppl in the car took the shorter route.. We took some nice pictures of the Canyon. Rain stopped our plan of staying in the canyon till sunset. Well, we changed our plans.. Vegas! yeah.. that's right. Las Vegas! Prasad left back to Phoenix and We reached vegas from Canyon in 3 and half hours but it took an hour and half to drive on the Las vegas Blvd aka the Strip. We were trying to find a desi restaurant on the strip and by the time we found it, it was closed. And Las Vegas was hot.. even in the night. We had food at Mc Donald's. Everybody was tired by then and didn't have the energy to roam around. We decided to preserve Las Vegas for another vacation.. We took some pictures and then left to Cambria, CA, where we wanted to cut into Highway 1 or Pacific Coastal Highway (PCH). Subbi covered a lot of distance in the 4 hours that he drove and I took over in the morning.

We reached Cambria around 9 in the morning and man..Pacific is beautiful..The first view of the Pacific early in the morning was so refreshing.. so beautiful with pacific on the left side and mountains on the right... PCH has some amazing, mindblowing views of the ocean, the clouds and the mountains.. We drove on the PCH for a few more hours when Vijay (kodi) came up with a brilliant idea/script for a balakrishna movie.. Each of us then became the producer, director, script writer and cinematographer and recorded a press meet which turned out to be hilarious.. we reached SFO in the evening, had dinner and started playing mafia.. we played mafia for about 3 hours and then slept. The next day was the day with the most fun.. we started in three cars.. Me, Kapil, Kodi and Ravi drove in the convertible.. we drove to the Golden Gate bridge then took Hwy 1 to muir woods and reached Stinson beach..The water was really really cold, but we did not have a second thought before getting into the water.. we were in the ocean for more than an hour.. had lot of fun playing frisbee and posing for the photos.. We drove back to San Francisco downtown from the beach, went to Ghirardelli chocolate factory.. we took a sunset boat trip which covered the Golden gate bridge and Alcatraz.. Golden gate under the golden yellow sunset was beautiful, to say the least. We came back from the boat trip and had some hard time to find Shalimar restaurant in Jones street, SFO. And finally when we reached there, we saw something that was totally unexpected. We saw a person getting mugged live and let me tell you, it was scary. Shalimar was like any other Irani chai place in Hyderabad but the food was really good.. We finally reached home after covering Mountain view and Sunnyvale. It was 1:30 by the time we reached home.

We woke up late the next day.. went to eat out and came back to see the soccer match Germany vs Italy.. we went to stanford after the match, took some pics and got home, packed stuff and left to the airport.. well, after the 4 days, coming back to work really sucks!

Pictures from this trip

Summer of 05

This summer was fun... too bad that its coming to an end.. wanted to post lot of things here but couldn't get a chance...

hollywood.jpg seaworld.jpg

Started off this summer with a trip to Los Angeles. Met pradeep, rajkiran after almost 2 years, went to Universal studios, Hollywood Blvd and Santa Monica beach.

Bought a car after the trip to LA and got the license (yeah that's right, i got the license after I bought the car). Have been driving a lot since then. Went to Duluth for the first time (never been to Duluth before though I was in Minneapolis for 2 years)

rainier.jpg snoqualmiefalls.jpg

Then was the trip to Seattle... Seattle and LA, both are on the west coast but they are a lot different. I felt seattle was more beautiful and close to nature than LA or San Diego. And surprisingly, it didn't rain for 3 consecutive days in Seattle!! The trip was amazing.. we went to Mount Rainier on a cloudy day and came back with out seeing the peak. But the hike was awesome.. The photo above should tell it all.. Snoqualmie falls was good too.. it was a steep hike to the bottom but it was well worth it... (the photo is from the top).

olympic1.jpg olympic2.jpg hurricaneridge.jpg

Olympic national forest was unbelievable.. I can never forget hiking at hurricane ridge... we took a new hike.. was very steep...found out there is no easy way out.. coming back sounded too scary... had to catch hold of trees and get down slowly.. went to the crescent lake, but could not go for boating as it was late already..

valleyfair.jpg

Came back to Minneapolis, but the party is not over yet.. The gang at Minneapolis planned for the valleyfair and it was non-stop. We ended up staying there till 11pm :). Apart from seeing places, watched movies, lots of them, went for bowling/pool more than a couple of times...overall, it was FUN...Well, the party is still not over... we are planning to put an exciting end to summer.. and what else could that be... WHITE WATER RAFTING!! Can't wait to do that though I am equally scared!

Andhramahabharatam - Project Kavitrayam

This is a group of people trying to write Andhramahabharatam in Unicode Telugu.
Visit Andhramahabharatam blog.
Join the Andhramahabharatam Google Group for updates.

Sun Certified Business Component Developer (SCBCD 310-090)

Online Resources JavaRanch SCBCD Links (Link) JavaRanch Forums (Link) JavaCamp SCBCD Study Information (Link) JavaBeat.net Question of the day (Link)

Mock Exams Moelholm.com (Link) JDiscuss.com (Link) EJBCertificate.com (Link)

Books Head First EJB

Isn't it cool ?

pradeep_05_30_05 064.jpg

Pradeep talent to teesina photo.
Location: Kodak Theatre building, Hollywood Blvd, LA.

Java 1.5 Certification resources (310-055)

Passed the SCJP 5.0 exam! I took the exam on Saturday 30th July but did not get the scores after the exam due to some technical problems. They gave me a phone number to find about the scores but I had to wait till Monday since it was a weekend. I called them on Monday and after staying on hold for about 30 mins, I was told that I passed the exam... It was a relief.. Still did not get the scores though.. They said they will send me the score report in mail..

Regarding exam preparation, I found the SCJP Tiger Study Guide very very helpful.. Also the Sun's tutorial on Generics from the Javabeat.net notes page is a must read.

Online Resources
SCJP Tiger Study Guide (Link)
Javabeat.net Notes (Link)
Examulator.com (Link)
An SCJP 5.0 Certification primer(Link)

Books for Java 1.5 Certification:

Complete Java 2 Certification: Study Guide (Amazon Link)

Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide (Exam 310-055)
(Certification Press) (Amazon Link) --- Not sure if this is for Java 1.5

General Books for Java 1.5
Java 5.0 Tiger: A Developer's notebook (Amazon Link)

Feeling Bored..Anybody there ?

Summer's supposed to be the best time to be in Minneapolis with all the greenery and lakes but not with everybody around you leaving. It started with Ravali leaving to India. Krishna and Sujana, the two most loud/active people in the group left yesterday and we started to feel the silence. Sasya left today and Kalluri will be leaving on the 30th. So its just Me, Aditya, Kalyan and Vasu left. And worst of all, none of us has a car and none of us can drive either. Ashok started feeling bored at home and came to the university yesterday.

Yesterday was so boring that I finally decided to go to "Available" status in Yahoo Messenger! (after a long time). This reminds me of last winter when everybody left except Aditya and me. Aditya was in the hall and I was in the other room. I didn't know that he was in the house and he didn't know I was. He came to my room for something and saw me and said, "Oh! nuvvu ikkade vunnaavaa ??" and both of us started laughing...There were occasions when we used to sit in two rooms and chat with each other. Very depressing.. Isn't it? I know.

I don't want this summer to be boring. That is the main reason I am going to LA and San Diego for the Labor day weekend even though there is a LOT of work to do. Also scheduled my Java 1.5 Certification exam in a month to keep myself busy.. I am sure I am going to reschedule it as one month is too less time. I hope everybody shows interest in playing badminton/tennis/basketball or any game for that matter (esp. aditya who keeps saying "Abba..ippudu em adataam.. repu adadaam le"). Friday is the best day of my week as there are a lot of people playing cricket in front of Northrop, ofcourse if weather permits.

I hope I don't have to spend the summer sitting in my room with "Feeling Bored.. Anybody there?" status in Yahoo Messenger!

Yahoo LAUNCHCast 'Error code:27 - .rapi_common_js_composite_1_19'

After a long time I wanted to hear some songs on Yahoo LAUNCHcast. Every time I tried to open it, I was getting this strange error 'Error code:27 - .rapi_common_js_composite_1_19'. After Googling it, I found out that I have to allow pop-ups from *.yahoo.com for LAUNCHcast to play. I allowed the pop-ups in Tools->Pop-up Blocker->Pop-up Blocker Settings in the Internet Explorer. I also made the changes in the Yahoo pop-up blocker that comes with Yahoo toolbar.. Still facing the same problem. It was just getting irritating when I found out that Norton Internet Security 2003 had an inbuilt pop-up blocker with it. After turning off the NIS pop-up blocker, it worked!

It is surprising that I could not find any information in the Yahoo web site with the error code. May be they should have a list of Error codes and possible solutions some where!

J2ME Game Programming Resources

Good J2ME resources..

Articles

1.MIDP 2.0: The Game API (Good one)
2. MIDP 2.0 Games: a Step-by-Step Tutorial with Code Samples
3. J2ME Tutorial, Part 1: Creating MIDlets
4. J2ME Tutorial, Part 2: User Interfaces with MIDP 2.0

Free Books

1. J2ME and Gaming

Sample Games with Source Code (Tutorials)
1. MIDP 2.0: Introduction to the Game API v1.0
2. Game Animation with Java MIDP
2. 3-D Game Development
3. MIDP and Game UI
4. Multi-player MIDP Game Programming

Good Collection of Tutorials
1. Wireless Java and J2ME tutorials

Testing a Stapler!

A very common question in the interviews these days (esp. for a testing position) is "How would you test a XXXXX". Here is a link where Mike Kelley listed out 144 test cases to test a Stapler. In all my previous interviews, I never thought about "Parallel testing", "Usability testing" etc..

http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/928