Main | J2ME Game Programming Resources »

Testing a Stapler!

A very common question in the interviews these days (esp. for a testing position) is "How would you test a XXXXX". Here is a link where Mike Kelley listed out 144 test cases to test a Stapler. In all my previous interviews, I never thought about "Parallel testing", "Usability testing" etc..

http://www.testingreflections.com/node/view/928

Thanks!

Your resources for the Sun certification exams were useful.

hmm...interesting post...I am a tester by profession but never came across such article..good post

Vamsi

Hiee,

I too was asked "How will you test a pencil?" and ....http://testertested.blogspot.com/2006/01/tester-tested-in-interviews.html !

Hi Sandeep,

Recently I am running a series of "How to Test xxxxx" posts in my blog. I have already completed 4 such posts actually. Click here [http://software-testing-zone.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-test-microwave-oven.html] to take a look at them.

Happy Testing...

-Regards,
Debasis,
Software Testing Zone

Yeah this kind of questions I often ask in the interview.

ex: How to test a TV remote control and to test that what kind of information you will ask from client ( the user guide).

Thanks
Raj
SoftwareQAtestings.com

Geez, otherwise I doubt they would have been comfortable taking that photo. ,

how to test a stapler? wow do they really ask these kind of questions too? may be in aptitude round and mostly to freshers i suppose.

Hi,

@Debasis interesting that you say you running a how-to-test-a-microwave page. I also am runnning tests on a popular infrared oven. check out www.nuwaveovenreviews.org

Great post btw!

so informative, thanks to tell us.

You can test any IR remote control by pointing it at a digital camera and pressing any button. If IR is being transmitted from the diode, the camera will see a rapidly blinking white or blue light. Pretty cool trick. Much cooler than pointing the remote at an AM radio, pressing buttons and listening for interference tones.

If your PS3 stops reading BluRay and/or DVD discs, you can make a backup of your files then do a Quick Format (system settings > format utility > hard disk > quick format). Then restart the PS3 and try another game disc.

This used to be more of a wives tale but, since June 2010, we're seeing about 10% of PS3 disc read errors being due to corrupt data on the hard drive. 90% need actual laser replacement, but hey if you're in the growing 10%... cool!

You can test your current website standings in several ways.

1) Check your current Page Rank at http://www.prchecker.info/check_page_rank.php It's not the only barometer, but gives you an overall idea of how highly Google esteems you. Hope for as close to 5 as possible.

2) Go to Google and run 2 searches. site:yoursite.com and link:yoursite.com will give you reports (which you can periodically check) that show an estimate of the number of pages within your site that have been indexed and the number of sites linking TO you.

3) Google Analytics code can be inserted into every page of your site, allowing Google to track every stat imaginable and allowing you to test which pages are seen more often, which engines send more traffic and which keywords are generating more sales.

Danke, gefällt mir !

I think almost any pitch, be it to some blogger or a user, needs to be relevant for them to enable action to take set. Seems like it is taking awhile with the old-school to figure out how to talk to the new-school!

Testing Testing Testing. The three keys to long term success. A proper marketing campaign never ends. It just expands.

are the test questionnaires limited to staplers?

Testing is the key to all problems in any world. I find it can be painful but strangely gratifying.

Wow. That certainly wasn't an easy spec sheet to read. Who would've known that a stapler was the result of so much engineering prowess!

A great question for usability is always - "tell me about the product that you think has the best usability?" - that will help the interviewee share how he/she thinks about usability and then you can ask follow up questions about their thinking process.

That's really an interesting aspect for people who are into software testing. Hope this app really helps one self to prepare for interviews related to testing tools.

Software testing from a user's perspective can be done through a trial from the vendor. Just need to ask if they have a trial version.

Great, software testing from buyer side is absolutely the objective one and kill all of advertising words.

Well I ever seen one channel on Youtube, which contain a bunch of videos testing microwave. It's awesome.

Colleges will play a huge role in our future energy endeavors as a country. It's very important that our universities contine to train students for a greener future

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It's very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

Although I don't like to be faced with these kinds of questions in interviews, it is pretty useful. As a type of question that interviewees cannot prepare for, it shows how well they think on their feet. It also takes a little of the edge off the interview because questions like these don't have right or wrong answers and are often fun in nature.

Brilliant idea, never thought a stapler can be tested like this...

Having been on both sides of this sort of question, it is always interesting to see how people react to an unexpected question.

Usability testing is an important part of testing for designers and engineers. Its takes a village to make a good stapler.

i just posted something like this on my post. Very swell stuff.Looking forward to seeing more from your post, !