Goleman's Personal and Social Compentencies

Rate yourself on Goleman's Personal and Social Competencies (p. 26-27).

There are five elements in which you can rate your personal and social compentences according to Goleman. These elements include self awareness, motivation, self regulation, empathy, and adeptness to relationships. I feel that I have characteristics of each of these elements.

Self Awareness

For a longest time, I felt like I never “fit? (in school and in the world in general). Being a lesbian is not the easiest come to grips with when you are 14 years old. I never really understood it all and was afraid of where this would take me in life. I’d always hear the negative stories of how you would go to H--- when I went the church and it really depressing for me. For quite sometime I wrestle with discovering myself and don’t know if I have a full understanding of everything. I think that emotionally I have figured out who I am, what I stand for, and where I want to go in life. As far as self assessment, I’ve had no chose but to reevaluate myself over and over again. With negative views from society, I always questioned my values and beliefs (not to mention almost all the leadership professors stress values and beliefs in class so I have no choice but to revisit them). I think that taking a lot of things into consideration, I have come along way. As far as self confidence, I have come along way but I still have a long way to go. I think that this is because I was always being compared to my cousins and how well they did in school. It was tough making sure that you got good grades so that you could set a good example for younger cousins. I think that over time, I have gotten better at trusting myself more.

Self Regulation
It is important to be able to adapt to different situations. I have not mastered this yet but think that I am developing the skills necessary to adapt to situations.

Motivation
What makes me tick? I’ll tell you. I am easily motivated if I am interested, but who isn’t? I think that once I get the ball rolling, I can accomplish anything. Motivation, is one of my strengths, in my opinion.

Empathy
This is also one of my greatest strengths. I am pretty good at determining when someone needs to talk or have something on their mind. I think this is because I work at the front desk and get to witness first hand a lot of situations. These situations will help me in the future and help me overcome any obstacles I encounter.

Social Skills
Okay. Well, I am okay with this one when others begin a conversation but I don’t usually start a conversation. This is something that I need to work on in the future.

Posted by at November 10, 2005 1:19 PM