FISH

As an Office Assistant at the University of Minnesota, we are required to attend training every summer. During the training, we watch the FISH! video and discuss the importance of the contents in the video. It was interesting to hear that some of the students did not like the video and felt that they could never relate the video to their lives or their job as an Office Assistant. How is this possible? I can think of so many ways that you can relate this to any job and honestly I think that the video was self explanatory – choose your attitude, play, make their day, and be there.

Basically you have to choose the right attitude to accomplish anything - even if it is for class. When you are enthusiastic about being in a particular place, your energy shows. In some cases, others also become enthusiastic about their work. Have fun, you only have one life. If you sit back and never do things with others, or laugh here and there, you will be unhappy and bring down the spirits of others. It is important to have good customer service. You want to make sure that people come back to you for your services. By simply being there for the customer you may be able to brighten someone’s day.

I try to follow this method daily at work and in class. At work, I apply these concepts through my customer service at Bailey Hall by basically being there for the residents. So many of the residents walk up the desk just to talk (I think it’s because they think I am very friendly and I am willing to listen if they are having a bad day). Every time I watch the FISH! video, I get more and more ideas on how to improve my business. Although I won't be throwing around any children in my day care there are many ways in which I can play, make the day of individuals, be there and I will definitely be willing to choose my attitude.

When I thought about this video, I thought about myself. I don’t usually get so personal about my life, but I feel that this really relates. There was a time when I was always depressed and at times even didn’t want to be on this earth. I thought that things were so terrible and that there was no way to make things better. You never know what is going through the head's of individuals. By choosing your attitude you can make someones day and maybe even preventing something as serious as a suicide from occurring.

Posted by at December 14, 2005 7:15 PM