Personal Mission Statement

Mission Statement

To be kind, honest, and hardworking while allowing my positivity to show whenever I am encountered by others. To effectively lead others and assist in their adcancement and future sucess. To draw out the highest level of creativity among my employees and strive to educate the children of our furture. With inspiration and belief in a higher being, I know that it is possible to overcome all obstacles and fears. Through this mission statement I will strive to create the best working environment for others by using my knowlegde, skills, networking and other resources to accomplish my goals.

Was it easy to develop? What does it mean mean in regards to my future plans and/or my future?

In this case, my mission statement relates to the development of my own business and how I see myself with my employees and children. As mentioned in my last blog, I want to start my own daycare. I believe that creating my mission statement was relativily easy because I know what I want to do in the future. With some people, I think that creating a mission statement may be difficult because they do not know what they want in life or have not discovered who they really are.

I think that it is important to have a mission statement because it can be used to give yourself direction. By creating a mission statement that is specific could possibly aid in understanding where you are and maybe even help you to decide if you are where you think you should be in life.

What does it mean in regards to my role in a team?

Okay, so this is another reason why I decided to be specific. By creating a general misison statement, it is easy to come up with adjectives describing yourself and your work ethics. However, I feel that there needs to be more information that can be used to determine how you will actually accomplish your mission statement. Mission statements can change as you grow older or get into a field where you decide that you are actually not interested anymore.

As it relates to a team, I find myself to be a leader in cases where I start something....in other words, when I have an idea or some type of creation where I want others to follow, I tend to lead. I think that my mission statement directly relates to how where I see myself in the future and how I see my self managing a team. Being responsible, people and task oriented, I believe that I will be successful in the future.

Posted by at 11:43 AM

An Effective Team

Define the characteristics of an effective team in your field?

It is important to realize that most of the characteristics of an effective team will fit almost any field. I think that of all the characteristics needed to have an effective team, taking on responsibility for the entire team may be the most important characteristic. If I am working in a large corporation where we work as a team, it is important to realize that the profit of that company depends on everyone. Singling out people and not taking on the responsibility as a team could cause not only the team, but also the failure of the business. As a team, I think it is important to stand on common grounds and have similar beliefs as it relates to what you are defending. A team should know their purpose, have direction, and set goals. An effective team is open to new ideas, willing to share new ideas, and devote their time and hard work to accomplish all goals. It is important to give positive feedback and recognition as necessary. An effective team shares the leadership role and the task of making decisions. Overall, I feel that an effective team should also have flexibility, high level of productivity, and effective communication.

Posted by at 6:41 PM

Fujishin's Inventory

Fujishin’s Inventory

What did you learn about yourself by completing the inventories in Fujishin’s Chapter 2?

In chapter 2, Fujishin tries to get the individual to discover who they are really are. He begins the chapter by focusing on the individual and informing them of the importance of setting aside time for themselves. As I stated in class, at my job, we usually follow this idea. I work at a daycare where we try to instill in the children that it is important to have time to themselves in order to regroup and refocus on the subject at hand. I think that it is a very good idea to take time and think about things. As Fujishin states in the book, spending time alone can help you to discover who you are and help you to better interact with others.

Inventory 1 – I am…

All of my responses to this statement were adjectives describing my characteristics. To me this means that I think about myself in a positive manner.

I am sensitive
I am compassionate
I am kind
I am respectful
I am loyal

Inventory 2 – I Believe…

Many of my beliefs include what I feel are important for everyone to live create live in a peaceful environment.

I believe in God (people do not all have the same belief but rather believe that there is a reason that you are here on this earth)
I believe that I will accomplish my goals in life
I believe that you should respect others’ differences
I believe that people should be able to love whom ever they want
I believe that love is powerful

Inventory 3 – Six months to live…

I learned that I enjoy being around people and that the most important thing to me in life is family.

I would spend time with my family & partner

Inventory 4 – Communication Behaviors

Not only did I complete this exercise, but I also had someone else complete this exercise about me as well. What I decided is that, I pretty much view myself as others do. I am positive and sensitive to others needs. However, I do not like sharing my needs as much but I am willing to share my needs.

I speak in a pleasant tone of voice – 5
I speak at an adequate rate (speed) of speech – 4
I speak without verbal fillers (“um,” “like,” etc) – 4
I have a relaxed posture when speaking – 4
I use expressive gestures when speaking – 4
I smile when I speak to others – 4
I make eye contact when speaking to others – 5
I often nod my head in agreement when listening – 3
I share my opinions with acquaintances/associates – 4
I share my opinions with close friends – 5
I share my feelings with acquaintances/associates – 4
I share my needs with close friends – 5
I share my needs with acquaintances/associates – 4
I am comfortable when I disagree with others – 5
I can disagree without disliking others – 5
I can verbally admit I am wrong – 5
I can ask for forgiveness when I have hurt others – 5
I make others feel good about themselves – 5
I am optimistic and positive in my interactions - 5

Inventory 5 – You’re not Perfect

As it states in the title of the inventory, I am not perfect. I think this is a perfect concept to live by because it helps me to understand that if I make mistakes, so do other people. I feel that if everyone realized that no one is perfect, there would me more love in the world today. If more people believed in this concept, more people would be willing to forgive and forget. This inventory also made me think of things that I need to work on to better communicate with others.

Stand up more for what myself
Be more open with others
Become more trusting
Share my opinion more often
Not shut down when I am outside of my comfort zone

Inventory 6 – Your Thanksgiving List

This was the most difficult inventory because most of all I am thankful for just being alive but I think that by answering this question, I am better able to see the big picture. I can see that I have things that others do not and that I should be thankful no matter how big or small I feel something is to me, especially when there are people who have nothing.

Posted by at 6:23 PM

Personal Information and Goals

My name is Jennifer Morris. I am a senior at the University of Minnesota majoring in Agricultural Education: Leadership, Training, and Development. Currently I have two jobs, neither of which relate to my major. However, one of the jobs (working at the Community Child Care Center on the St. Paul Campus) relates to one of my future goals.

I am originally from Chicago, Illinois, but grew up in Columbus, MS until the age of nine. I attended the Chicago High School for Agricutural Science, increased my interest in agriculture, and decided that I would major in Agricultural Education. Growing up I can remember always wanting to deal with food, children, animals, or interpreting. Specifically, I wanted to major in Food Science or Family Social Science (working with adoption agencies), become a veternarian, or a Sign Language Interpreter.....not even close to my major! However with my major, there are opportunities to work with children, food, animals, and interpreting, just not in the manner that I envisioned.

Some of my interests include: going to the movies, singing, dancing, braiding hair, surfing the internet, adoption, going to Target:), learning sign language, playing with the children at my job, learning how to increase my leadership abilities, finding easier ways to complete and organize tasks, coming up with new ideas for businesses, arts and crafts and entreprenuership.

My short term goals include: finishing my undergraduate program in Agricultural Education in December 2005, finding a job or career that best suites my interests and goals (working at Nabisco, Kraft, or a major food corporation, daycare, or one of the areas aforementioned), enroll in Graduate school (Elementary Education and Business Administration), take additional sign language and entreprenuership classes, renew my first responder and first aide certificate and find a larger apartment or house.

My long term goals include starting my own day/night care (which which will also have afterschool programs for older children and a store where the children are able to sale the fruits and vegetables that we grow) and open a bookstore.

As far as my expections for the class, I look forward to hearing the different ways to effectively communicate with others and improve my leadership abilities. I am generally quiet if I feel like I don't fit into a group. I hope this class will help me to increase my leadership abilities and possibly overcome this obstacle.

Posted by at 11:20 AM