FISH

As an Office Assistant at the University of Minnesota, we are required to attend training every summer. During the training, we watch the FISH! video and discuss the importance of the contents in the video. It was interesting to hear that some of the students did not like the video and felt that they could never relate the video to their lives or their job as an Office Assistant. How is this possible? I can think of so many ways that you can relate this to any job and honestly I think that the video was self explanatory – choose your attitude, play, make their day, and be there.

Basically you have to choose the right attitude to accomplish anything - even if it is for class. When you are enthusiastic about being in a particular place, your energy shows. In some cases, others also become enthusiastic about their work. Have fun, you only have one life. If you sit back and never do things with others, or laugh here and there, you will be unhappy and bring down the spirits of others. It is important to have good customer service. You want to make sure that people come back to you for your services. By simply being there for the customer you may be able to brighten someone’s day.

I try to follow this method daily at work and in class. At work, I apply these concepts through my customer service at Bailey Hall by basically being there for the residents. So many of the residents walk up the desk just to talk (I think it’s because they think I am very friendly and I am willing to listen if they are having a bad day). Every time I watch the FISH! video, I get more and more ideas on how to improve my business. Although I won't be throwing around any children in my day care there are many ways in which I can play, make the day of individuals, be there and I will definitely be willing to choose my attitude.

When I thought about this video, I thought about myself. I don’t usually get so personal about my life, but I feel that this really relates. There was a time when I was always depressed and at times even didn’t want to be on this earth. I thought that things were so terrible and that there was no way to make things better. You never know what is going through the head's of individuals. By choosing your attitude you can make someones day and maybe even preventing something as serious as a suicide from occurring.

Posted by at 7:15 PM

Class Overview

Where should I begin?

This class was awesome! I really enjoyed being able to do the Teach the Class assignment and final presentation on leaders in the world. I think that these two assignments were most exciting to me because it allowed me to be in my comfort zone. I also like the assignment on logical fallacies. I never really thought about how much people use them every day and probably don’t even realize it. I actually enjoyed writing these blogs and found them very helpful to relieve stress sometimes – just to be able to just sit down and talk about whatever was on my mind (even though I had difficulty setting aside time to do them).

I like your style of teaching. Aimee, you make sure that you consider the students and things that are going on in their lives. You are fair in grading and make sure that the students understand why they got the grades they received. Something else that I noticed about your grading, you were very thorough in telling me what I did well and need to improve on in the future. I think this class is a great class to take to understand how to work in teams and discover our strengths and weaknesses. The only thing I would suggest would be to maybe have smaller group discussions first then big group discussion, but overall, I think the class went well.

The assignments were useful in many ways. Being able to relate the readings and information in class to our own lives made this class more interesting, in my opinion. Of the four years that I have been at the University of Minnesota, I can honestly say that you are one of the few teachers that actually took the time to listen to what we had to say. I think that is a great quality in a leader. I think that I will always remember you and your style of teaching and will be able to apply many of your methods to my future career.

Thank you for everything,

-Jenn-

Posted by at 1:52 PM

Mary Jane (Hem and Haw)

Have you been in a rut like Mary Jane (or Hem and Haw)? What strategies do you use or could you use to be more creative, be more adaptable to change, and improve your overall attitude and outlook?

I’m pretty sure that everyone has been in a situation similar to that of Mary Jane. There are many ways that you can get out of stressful situations. First, you must understand the issue that is stressing you out in the first place. I’m mean, if you don’t know what the problem is, how can you solve it? Stress can interfere with you ability to perform effectively. Having good stress management skills can make your life more enjoyable and healthy.

Once you discover the issue, you should surround yourself in a different atmosphere. Don’t just stay there and be stressed, find something more enjoyable. In cases when others are not motivated, do something about it. Try every technique in the book. Let them know that you are enjoying what you do. If you follow the FISH philosophy, honestly I think that you could actually overcome a lot of the stress that you are encountering. Just by going out of your way to help someone else, you can get away from the stress in your life and in the process, make someone else’s life a little bit easier (at least for that moment).

I think for the most part, I am adaptable to change. I think that I can pretty much go along with the flow but change things when I see necessary. This is a skill that you need in most job or careers as a matter of fact. It is important to get new experiences and think of creative ways to get things done successfully. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. Just make sure that you learn from them and not continue to do the same thing over and over again.

In order to improve your overall attitude and outlook, you can take some time to write out your goals. If you made goals in the past, look at where you are now and determine if you are satisfied. Ask yourself, what you have accomplished. If you write out things you will have a better outlook on your future and will be more likely to stick to you goals you want to accomplish.

Posted by at 8:04 AM