Recently in About the Blog Category

All Welcome: Non-economists and Economists

The Economics in Cooperative Extension Blog is aimed at sharing economic concepts and ideas on the organization and delivery of outreach programs through the Cooperative Extension System. 

This blog isn't just for economists, however.  I will translate any jargon when my colleagues get too enthusiastic with some jargon.  If I miss something that needs translation, let me know.   

There have been several journal articles suggesting economic concepts which might help Extension become more efficient and more effective such as:

• comparative advantage
  • specialization
  • economies of scale and scope
  • consumer soveregnty
  • free riders
  • club theory
  • program business plans
  • public value and private value
  • benefit-cost analysis

Blog readers are encouraged to offer comments on research or on the good, bad, and the ulgy of the practical application of these economic concepts to outreach education in the Cooperative Extension Service. 

The blog is maintained by George Morse, professor emeritus, Department of Applied Economics, University of Minnesota.   He can be reached at morse001@umn.edu.

Blog Comments and Exchanging Ideas

Exchanging Ideas and Comments:  The primary purpose of this blog is to stimulate discussion among Extension stakeholders on ways to improve Extension using economic concepts. 

There are several ways to encourage this discussion, including: 1) traditional unrestricted comments, 2) sharing published articles, and 3) encouraging focused questions and comments. 

After reviewing a number of blogs, I have decided against the first approach because often those making comments do not provide enough context for the reader to evaluate the debate.  Other blogs have so many irrelevant comments that the time required to distill useful information is too high.

As a result, I have decided to use the last two approaches.  First, I will share published articles on aspects related to economics in Extension.  Second, I welcome questions or comments sent directly to me.  I will use them on the blog when relevant to a posting.  

Please alert me of any articles which I should post and send your comments and questios to me at morse001@umn.edu.

Naturally, my early posts are about "The Minnesota Response: Cooperative Extension's Money and Mission Crisis."  But shortly, I will add the articles on other aspects of economics in Cooperative Extension.

For those unhappy with my blog and my comment policy, I encourage you to discuss the specific in journal articles.  It will be seen by many more people and help your career much more than a comment on my blog.

Have a great day! 

George Morse

This page is an archive of recent entries in the About the Blog category.

Part I: The Crisis and A Solution is the next category.