Recently in Week 1 blog Category

week 1 blog

Theses are the words that were new to me and areas that I would like to
have more clarity on.

enfranchisement
Declaration of Sentiments
pragmatic legal feminism
coverture
underpinnings
contextual reasoning
conscious raising

Week 1 Terms

~ Declaration of Sentiments (more info on topic) ~Cultural feminists ~Postmodern feminist legal theory ~Pragmatic legal feminism ~Unmasking patriarchy ~Consciouness-raising

Blog 1: Unfamiliar Terms

Contextual reasoning: Drawing from the reading, contextual reasoning places more emphasis on "the personal and social history of the parties, relative perceptions among the parties, and overall context." How is this method applied practically without it being extraneous? There seems to be more room for extrapolating with this method. Would this open up more avenues for abuse? "Relative perceptions" has undertones of emotion, which seems very difficult to quantify.

The Declaration of Sentiments: I was curious about the length and content of the document. The whole document is on Wikipedia. It's surprisingly brief. Here's the link if anyone is curious:
Declaration of Sentiments

Dominance theory: I would like to know more about how the theory deals with cases where a sex would prefer to be dominated or prefer to be dependent on someone else.

Postmodern feminist legal theory: I'm curious about this theory and its applications simply because I find it agreeable.

LGBT theory: I would like to know more about the transgender community and that of being able to choose your sex as most of my knowledge is from fiction.

Week 1

1) Enfranchisement

2) Pragmatic legal feminism (how is this "best possible among less-than-ideal choices" decided or settled on)

3) Contextual reasoning - is experience (or to what degree is it) really sound enough to be considered empirical?

4) Contextual reasoning vs. Conscious- Raising (Is contextual reasoning using experience as evidence and conscious- raising more about bringing people with similar experiences together?)

5) 14th Amendment - on what basis was voting not considered a privilege of federal citizenship?

Assignment 1: Terms and Questions

1.Unmasking Patriarchy ~ I would like to look at how this technique is used with other examples.
2.The 1875 Supreme Court Case, Minor v. Happersett ~ If the court did not find voting to be a privilege of federal citizenship, what would they have described as a privilege of citizenship? Voting seems like such a fundamental aspect of citizenship today that I have a hard time conceiving how that argument was made.
3.Equal Rights Amendment ~ I would be interested in covering some of the debate regarding the significance of its failed ratification. I also am curious what the opinion is on how the lack of a state-level ERA affects legal cases in the 32 states (including Minnesota) that lack such an amendment.
4.Cultural Feminists ~ How large of a group are such thinkers among legal feminists today? I am curious how this movement interacts with transgender and otherwise non-traditional gender identification issues.
5.Contextual Reasoning ~ I would like greater clarification of this method. The section that deals with it directly seems to describe a process of acknowledging and considering the implications of personal experience on perceptions, yet in the example of Gloria the term contextual reasoning seems to involve making connections between details and larger societal patterns.

Blog 01 // Terms

Unmasking : This method of understanding the ways that structures affect women was really strong for me, and I would for sure like to look at it further. I don't think I have ever seen it explained or coined that way.

Ecofeminism : I would like to explore some of the movements or campaigns that are ecofeminist in character.

Equal Rights Amendment : I'd like to hear more about the discussions that took place within feminist activism about the ERA.

Equal treatment theory : Is this prevalent today, or has it generally been outdated by more comprehensive understandings of equality?

Postmodern feminist legal theory : This is something that I am pretty much unfamiliar with.

GWSS 3503 Term List

1. Feminist Legal Theory
2. Litigation
3. Cultural Feminists
4. Lesbian Legal Theory
5. Sex inequity
6. Contextual Reasoning
7. Neutral Legal Standards
8. Empirical Evidence
9. Pragmatic Legal Feminism
10. Lesbian Legal Theory

** I would like clarification between the different kinds of feminism here. What mainly sets them apart from one another? Thank you.

Blog 1

1. pragmatic legal feminism
2. enfranchisement
3. contextual reasoning
4. Equal Rights Amendment and why it was not passed
5. the controversy among the suffragist surrounding the 15th Amendment

GWSS 3503 terms

1.Catalysts
2.Chauvinism
3.Zoning
4.judiciary
5.underpinnings
6.pragmatic
7.suffragists

Unfamiliar Terms

1. Enfranchisement
2. Coverture
3. Postmodern
4. Consciousness-Raising
5. Feminist Legal Theory

Week 1 Blog Assignment

List 5-10 terms from Thursday's reading that are unfamiliar to you or that you would like to understand better.