Extension 2.0 Wrap Up

Wow! This has been an ambitious learning project to keep up with. While I've learned some new things (Wikis, RSS and feedreaders, and productivity tools), there are so many that was overwhelming to keep up with. I think that I will be able to use 2 or 3 of the newer features (blogs, podcasting, web conferencing) on a regular basis.

I've really enjoyed exploring the online world and probably would not have looked at some of the newer activities without the direction and instructions provided by Amy (for fear of doing something or getting somewhere I shouldn't!). Please offer this kind of self-directed/paced learning again. I would definitely participate if a course like this was available.

Thanks again to Amy for all of her hard work to make this information available!

Web Conferencing

This is a good way to have a meeting or training with many remote locations as well as to capture real-time comments and notes. I'm not sure I'm ready to be the host but the polling feature is a good way to get opinions quickly about a subject or issue. There's always something new and fun in the technology world to keep us challenged!

Communicating in 2.0

I've used IMing for quite a while to communicate with my daughters while they were at college and during their study abroad time. This system was very helpful this year as one of my daughters spent 6 months out of the country and phone charges were outrageous! While it's good to hear someone's voice, a text conversation is a great way to keep in touch.

Twitter was a new twist on the IM concept. I'm not sure how I would use it as I don't have support for texting on my phone at this time (too expensive and I'd rather speak to the person).

Thanks for the exposure to all these tools. There's just too many to take advantage of!

Social Networking

This week's lesson on social networking provides additional tools for keeping in contact with people. It can be used like an online resume for future employers and for friends to find each other after long periods of time. In addition, I think this process would be valuable when participating in online learning activities by using people rather than print materials as resources.

I did create a profile on Linkedin. I'd need to spend a lot more time to customize my information to make it very useful. I did attempt to search some past colleagues, but no one was listed. We'll see what happens in the future.

Productivity Tools

I found that some of the project lists and timeline managers would be very helpful in predicting work loads to complete projects. There are just so many that it's hard to choose what will work the best! All of these options are useful - its hard to just pick one and get started!

It was very easy to upload a Word doucment with graphics to Zoho. This category can be very helpful when collaborating with other remote offices. The toolbar was easy to navigate, especially with the colorized icons, since it was very much like Word.

Wiki's

I saw a couple of usefull items when searching The Flat Classroom wiki that I will share with my daughter who is a new teacher. Otherwise, this is a more focused method of searching for information, but I do question the validity at times. Just one more method to view information and opinions of others.

Podcasts & Audio

This was a challenging site to navigate, most likely due to the fact that I don't have or use an iPod! I could see the use of podcasts for conveying information to specific audiences that are unable to come together in one location. I'll definitely try this one again when I have some down time.

3rd Post - Photos & Videos

One could spend hours looking for the perfect photo! This could be useful when sharing new ideas or processes between people in far reaching places. I'd love to spend much more time on this but there's always too much to do. I'll probably explore this option more in the future.

2nd Post - RSS Feeds

I found this section a little difficult to do. I felt I needed several windows open to follow Amy's instructions to fulfill the lesson instructions. As a true novice to this process, I am a visual learner and prefer step by step instructions instead of go here and do this. Time will tell to see if this information is useful.

First Post

Blogging can be useful to other people looking for similar information. I hope to understand more about the process and why people find blogs useful.