Recently in Other Category

Multiple Pedestrians Hurt in Crash Near Times Square

Nearly 12 people were injured in a car crash near Times Square last night at 9 p.m.

One car rear ended another car causing the first car to flip into a group of pedestrians.

Eight people were taken to the hospital. Three are in critical condition and two others were treated on the scene for minor injuries.

No charges have been filed against the driver of the vehicle that caused the first crash.

Even though nothing has been approved for a third airport in Chicago, Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. had an unofficial, and symbolic ground breaking ceremony in south suburban Peotone.

"Together we can and we will strengthen our common economic destiny," Jackson said to ABC 7 News Chicago.

The event also had about 200 protesters.

"To run the AG economy out of here for no reason just doesn't make sense," said farmer Robert Ogalla to ABC 7 News Chicago.

The project is supported by Governor Pat Quinn. Both United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek and Mayor of Chicago Rahm Emmanuel say there is no demand for a third airport in Chicago. This project would hurt the growth at O'Hare, they said to ABC 7 News Chicago.

According to ABC 7 News Chicago, Jackson says the airport would be funded privately by Canadian developer SNC-Lavalin. SNC-Lavalin has been under fire after being in connection with Moammar Gadhafi's son.

Humber Throws Perfect Game for White Sox

Philip Humber threw the 21st perfect game in MLB history.

Humber is 29 years of age and had 29 MLB starts before this game. Last year he had a 9-9 record for the White Sox. Humber had 11 wins in the big leagues before his perfect game.

Humber threw 96 pitches in his first win of the season. He had 9 strikeouts in the Sox road win. The White Sox won 4-0 over the Seattle Mariners.

Humber is the seventh pitcher to throw a perfect game on the road.

"He was aggressive in the strike zone," said ESPN analyst Aaron Boone.

"He came to the ballpark just trying to win his first game of the season to keep this team over .500," said ESPN analyst Rick Sutcliffe. "Something like this could not only change the career of this guy but all of a sudden now the White Sox feel pretty good about their ball club."

Humber has been through a lot in his major league career. He was the third overall pick in 2004 by the New York Mets. He was traded to the Minnesota Twins in the Johan Santana deal. He underwent Tommy John surgery in 2005, according to NBC 5 Chicago.

"This is awesome," said Humber, according to NBC 5 Chicago. "I'm so thankful."

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7841545

A Local Barber Relies on Regulars on Campus

One-chair barbershops are uncommon for a lot of places but on campus on University Avenue Southeast this is quite normal.

At Pete Lebak Barber Stylist, Pete Lebak has haircuts for the flat rate of $12. He has been running this barber shop for 32 years.

Because of the Light Rail Construction, his business has declined with fewer of his regulars and no walk-ins.

"The light rail is killing all of us," Lebak said in an article for the Minnesota Daily. "It is beating us to death."

The barber keeps a red notebook of all his customers, according to the Minnesota Daily.

The barbershop doesn't have a cash register or a computer, according to the Minnesota Daily. The shop is filled with deer heads, old chairs and plants instead.

Lebak's shop hasn't really seen many changes since he first opened it. The newest additions include a collage of customer photos, and a collection of artifacts from Norway, which decorate the walls.

For Lebak, this isn't a job. He is a barber, but he also is a friend to all his customers.

"I really love the people; they're great," Lebak said to the Minnesota Daily. "You get to come here, talk to all your friends all day, they pay you, and you go home. [Friendship is] what this is all about."

This barber has customers from all over. One of them lives in Alexandria, Minn. and another lives in Wisconsin, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Lebak knows everything about his customers, including the names of their children, their childhoods and their jobs. According to the Minnesota Daily, he has known some for almost four decades.

He doesn't plan on going anywhere, even though business has declined with the construction of the Light Rail.

"I have gotten so much encouragement, I'm going to hang in here until they drag me out feet first or I get kicked out," said Lebak to the MInnesota Daily.

Minnesota Loses to Stanford in NIT Final

The Minnesota Gophers lost to Stanford in the NIT Championship Thursday Night at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Stanford won the contest 75-51. This win is Stanford's first NIT Title since 1991 according to The New York Times.

For the Gophers, it is a second place finish in the second biggest college basketball tournament during the month of March besides the NCAA Tournament. The team made it to the finals as the 6th seed, according to the Minnesota Daily.

According to The New York Times, freshmen Chasson Randle scored 15 points for the Stanford Cardinals and his teammate sophomore Aaron Bright added 13 more points from the bench.

Bright was named the tournament's most valuable player, according to The New York Times.

Minnesota ends the season with a 23-15 record after winning last six of their last seven games to make an impressive run at the N.I.T. title.

Condon is the Third Wisconsin Native on Gopher Hockey

Nate Condon, a sophomore forward, is a member of the third line on the Minnesota Golden Gophers Hockey team with Captain Taylor Matson.

He is the third Wisconsin native in school history on the team after Phil Kessel (2005-06) and Sam Lofquist (2008-09) according to The Central Wisconsin Hub.

Condon has 10 goals and 26 points this season for the MacNaughton Cup Champion Gophers. He is tied for first in the WCHA with five points on the penalty kill during the season.

Being from Wisconsin, he says that is by far the biggest game for him.

"The biggest game of the (regular) season for me is playing against Wisconsin," said Condon in The Central Wisconsin Hub article. "I grew up watching them and there's eight to 10 guys I played with growing up that are on their team. It always feels a little bit better when I come back to Wausau knowing that we beat (Wisconsin) so I don't have to listen to everyone around town talk about how we lost to the Badgers."

Condon joined the Gophers Hockey team after two years in the United States Hockey League with the Fargo Force. On the Force he played in 150 games over the two year stint in the league. Last year, as a freshmen he had 17 points in 35 games with the Gophers.

Condon and the Gophers will play in the Frozen Four on April 5 and if they win they will play for the National Championship on April 7.

Do You Know Adelitas Way?

Adelitas Way is a band that was made in Las Vegas, Nevada by Rick DeJesus.

DeJesus grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which had a huge impact on his music career. His two brother went to prison.

"It makes me tough-skinned," says DeJesus in a USA Today article. "I was from a place where everybody tried to shut you out and things were hard. So coming into the music industry, getting turned down sometimes and working hard didn't seem as bad as ending up selling drugs."

He then moved from Philadelphia to Las Vegas for VH1's 2005 reality show Strip Search. The show gave him good experience as a front man. In Las Vegas he started making the group Adelitas Way starting with drummer Trevor Stafford.

"I probably gave out 10,000 demos," DeJesus said in a USA Today article. "I used to sit in my house all day and burn discs, hand them to anybody who walked by me. Some people would throw them in the trash, and other people would use them as coasters, but I worked really hard to get Las Vegas to pay attention."

The band also includes bassist Derek Johnston and guitarists Keith Wallen and Robert Zakaryan.

Adelitas Way's top songs include Sick, Invincible and The Collapse.

The band's name references the Adelita Bar in Tijuana, Mexico. According to USA Today the website says it is where "the beer is cold and cheap and there are plenty of available women."

Adelitas Way will be playing in the Avalanche Tour with Shinedown. The tour starts Tuesday in Anaheim, California and goes through late April.

The University of Minnesota Golden Gophers hockey team is heading back to the WCHA (Western College Hockey Association) Final Five for the first time in three years, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Minnesota is currently awaiting the winner of the Thursday game between North Dakota and St. Cloud.

The Gophers bested Alaska Anchorage in a three game series with back-to-back wins to clinch a spot at this year's tournament which is held at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

Saturday's second game of the series didn't come easy for the Gophers as they were down 3-1 in the second period.

Zach Budish scored to make it 3-2 and then Nick Bjugstad scored to even up the game on the power play .

In the third period Erik Haula scored back-to-back goals in an 18 second span to give the Gophers a 5-3 lead.

According to SB Nation, Haula has five goals in the last three games.

From there Minnesota kept its foot on the gas pedal, winning the game 7-3.

Head Coach Don Lucia is proud of his team and feels last year prepared this team for their success.

"It's been a climb," Lucia said in an article for the Minnesota Daily. "There's been some frustration, but a year ago at this time... I said I don't think we are that far away. I don't know if everyone believed me at that time ... but this began a year ago."

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Other category.

National is the previous category.