Assignment 5

For my archetypical existing product, I've chosen snowboard boots/bindings. They're two separate items, but I believe by looking at them as a unit that product opportunities will arise. The problem statement relating to this product based on previous research is Taylor needs a quicker way to get from riding the lift to powder-ready because he spends a lot of time strapping back in after each lift ride. My previous -How Might We- question relating to this problem statement is How might we create a way to keep a snowboard on feet that allows easy on and off between rides?

For this assignment, I first made a list for each letter of SCAMPER - (substitute, combine, adapt, magnify/minify, put to other use, eliminate, reverse/rearrange) related to snowboard boots & bindings.
Unknown.jpg
Substitute
Can I change any of the parts?
Page 1.jpg

Boots that use a slide/lock mechanism

Combine
Can I combine or merge it with other objects?
Page 1 - Version 3.jpg
Boots and Bindings - Combined!

Adapt
What else is like it?
ebd7ab7fa9505862ecbd32144d9c44d7_large.jpg
A recently funded Kickstarter product using Neodymium magnets
Page 1 - Version 2.jpg
Boots that attach directly to magnetic areas in the board

Magnify
Can it be done faster?
Page 2.jpg
Remote controlled enclosure - activated by a button in mittens

Put to other use
What else can it be used for?
Page 2 - Version 2.jpg
Foot enclosures on public transportation to allow safer rides

Eliminate
What's nonessential or unnecessary?
Page 3.jpg
Slip in bindings that remove back. The purpose of the back is to help provide leverage for moving, but if it's compensated for by allowing greater leverage from the front, it can be eliminated.

Rearrange
What if we rearrange the snowboard?
Page 3 - Version 2.jpg
Boots with interlocking snowboard parts

Remaking Step-In Bindings
strap-in.jpg
Existing Step-Ins
Page 4.jpg
Remote controlled, lock bindings
Page 4 - Version 3.jpg
Twist in bindings
Page 4 - Version 2.jpg
Slide in bindings

10 ideas to move forward with:
Page 1.jpg

Boots that use a slide/lock mechanism

Page 1 - Version 3.jpg
Boots and Bindings - Combined!

Page 1 - Version 2.jpg

Page 2.jpg

Page 2 - Version 2.jpg

Page 3.jpg
Slip in bindings that remove back.
Page 3 - Version 2.jpg
Boots with interlocking snowboard parts

Page 4.jpg
Remote controlled, lock bindings
Page 4 - Version 3.jpg
Twist in bindings
Page 4 - Version 2.jpg
Slide in bindings

I really like the snowboard shoes concept. I’m imagining some cool pivoting and telescoping mechanisms that facilitate the transition between snowboard and shoes.

In your top ten ideas, the foot attachments for buses caught my eye. Though they might seem useful at first glance, I worry that they would be dangerous for the rider. If the bus made a sudden movement, the standing rider would not be able to shuffle her feet and regain her balance. Just something to consider in your evaluation for the next assignment.

I noticed that some of your ideas from your SCAMPER session are very similar to ideas from you brainstorming session. Remember that increasing the variety of your ideas will lead to more good ideas.

I would have been cool to see the ideas your considered “silly” during your brainstorming session reworked into feasible products.

-Josh

First off you did a good job creating clear pictures, it was nice that I didn't have to squint to see anything.

Also you might want to do an amazon search for the twist and lock mechanism you were proposing I thought it had been done already.

You came up with some really interesting ideas. The remote control idea seems really cool and I think that with the right engineers it could be pulled off. I'd be a bit worried about removing the back for your slip in idea because I feel like you would be changing how people are snowboarding because they can't then put leverage on the back. Like I said I like these ideas but I think you could've went farther with your descriptions of each one. It's good that you added some pictures of some actual products to better visualize your's but I think you should still add more pictures. If it's a slip in mechanism maybe just put in a picture of another product that does the same thing to make it easier to visualize. Good look on the next assignment!