Assignment 6

To reiterate last week's 10 ideas, here they are:

Page 1.jpg

Boots that use a slide/lock mechanism (Slide N' Locks)

Page 1 - Version 3.jpg
Boots and Bindings - Combined!

Page 1 - Version 2.jpg
Boots that attach directly to magnetic areas in the board

Page 2.jpg
Remote controlled enclosure - activated by a button in mittens (Remote Controlled Bindings)

Page 2 - Version 2.jpg
Foot enclosures on public transportation to allow safer rides

Page 3.jpg
Slip in bindings that remove back. (Burrito Bindings)
Page 3 - Version 2.jpg
Boots with interlocking snowboard parts (Snowboard Shoes)

Page 4.jpg
Remote controlled, lock bindings (RoboBoots)
Page 4 - Version 3.jpg
Twist in bindings
Page 4 - Version 2.jpg
Slide in bindings

With print-outs of these 10 ideas, I went back to Dick's Sporting Goods and REI.
Unknown.jpg

dickssportinggoods-top60retailstores*304.jpg

I interviewed a total of 17 people and kept track of which ideas they seemed most excited about. I also kept track of how much each person said they would pay for each idea if it was realized into an actual marketable product. Luckily, Taylor was also there (the inspiration behind the product need) and I was able to interview him as well. Based on the feedback, I'll be moving forward with "Slide N' Locks", "RoboBoots", "Snowboard Shoes", "Burrito Binders", and "Combined Boots and Bindings".

Slide N' Locks received an average of $201.59 with 12 votes
RoboBoots received an average of $450.30 with 11 votes
Snowboard Shoes an average of $345.50 with 14 votes
Burrito Binders an average of $206.50 with 10 votes
Combined Boots and Bindings an average of $400.30 with 11 votes

Taken from REI's website, here is the description of the 3 types of bindings that currently exist:
Types of Snowboard Bindings

Snowboard bindings are divided into 3 general categories:

Strap bindings are the most popular. Straps (usually 2) secure each boot in place; the highback does not move. They feature multiple adjustment options, excellent support and cushioning. Chief downside: Manually buckling and unbuckling the straps can be difficult while wearing gloves or in very cold conditions. Strap bindings are generally suitable for both soft and firm-flexing boots. Prices run from low to mid-range.

Speed-entry bindings (also known as convenience bindings) look similar to strap bindings but have a reclining highback to permit relatively easy in-and-out boot access. It is a time-saving design preferred by many casual riders. Feet are stabilized by a yoke system that applies uniform pressure across the forefoot. Performance-focused riders sometimes feel this sacrifices board control. These bindings are generally suitable for both soft and firm-flexing boots. Prices range widely, from low to high.

Burton EST (Extra Sensory Technology) bindings are compatible only with Burton's Channel mounting system. They eliminate the restrictions of mounting with discs, allowing the rider virtually unlimited stance, width and angle options. Price is at the high end.

There is also a recently funded Kickstarter product that is the most similar to some of my proposed projects. However, it's not widely available.

Link to chart describing interview findings with product offerings (Benchmarking)
Chart.pdf

Link to chart showing projected material/manufacturing cost (Patents & Feasibility)
Part2Snowboard.pdf

I really like how you went into the field to get results. I'm sure that provided you with a deeper knowledge of what consumers really want compared to the yes or no text on a spreadsheet. I'm not super familiar with snowboarding and was surprised to find out how limited the field of bindings is. Definitely an area ripe for innovation. I like your ideas, but I'm a little hesitant on the remote control aspect. That introduces a whole lot of extra variables into the process, as you have to account for batteries and how they deal in the cold and can people figure out how to use them? The last thing you want is someone stuck in bindings because the cold rendered the battery in the remote useless.

I think you have a lot of potential and look forward to hearing your pitch tuesday.