« 2,000-year-old bling found | Main | Metro Transit getaway »

Underlying confusion with Obama being Muslim

This year’s presidential election has brought about many interesting quarrels and disputes. One in particular I found interesting was a study that found 10 percent of American’s believed Barack Obama is Muslim.

In “American Muslims get country’s cold shoulder? Allie Shah says, “Obama’s defenders were quick to point out that he was not a Muslim, but they stopped short of adding that even if he were one, who cares??

I personally have witnessed accounts of this and caught myself wondering why would that be a big deal?

With the campaign team clearly aware of the misconceived notion of Obama being Muslim, flyers were sent out broadly stating him as an American Christian who attends church regularly.

This hit at the Muslim community is disappointing and misunderstood. “There is a deep-seated mistrust of Muslims and a belief that Muslims are not Americans,? Allie Shah said.

The Obama camp also took action against further association between Obama and Muslims during a Michigan appearance. A female Obama supporter, who happened to be Muslim, attended his speech wearing a head scarf. The woman was standing on the stage behind Obama’s speech podium. An Obama camp staffer saw the woman and decided to move her to a different, less prominent spot.

It is not known whether Obama was aware of this but he did later apologize.

“Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?? Colin Powell asked on “Meet the Press.?

“The answer is ‘no.’ yet I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, ‘He’s a Muslim, and he might be associated with terrorists.’ This is not the way we should be doing it in America,? Powell said.

Sources: Star Tribune “American Muslims get country’s cold shoulder? By Allie Shah