Boyuan Yang

This is Boyuan's blog ...

To Experience the Beauty by the Media Art
After I watched movie Avatar in 3D in the cinema, I was surprised by the computer graphics, the movie actually brings whole humankind to a new remarkable ground of entertainment which I think it opens a great age. Certainly, there are a lot of media artists work for parts of narrative, computer graphics, character and environmental design. For me, I think the most valuable element that media art bring to us is to educate and inspire people in a very impressive way, like Avatar, many people after Avatar, their ways of examining the world is changing, some of them become an environmentalist and they realize the faults of colonization.
When you see native people's homeland is destructed by tremendous large human's construction machine, at least, I felt very guilt as a humankind who invade innocent alien's territory, this feeling is much stronger than the one I heard from a boring lecture, therefore, that is the value of media art, it always can give people a deep impression. I think with the development of visual effects,more and more outstanding work of art will emerge. I think to experience and explore the beauty of lives all around us is a kind of the most valuable of human, hope I will use all the knowledge I learned in the university for helping people to experience the beauty of this world and understand the importance of staying peace.
But I think there are some disadvantages coming up gradually between the balance of the story and the visual effect, a movie like Transformer is the typical example of imbalance of the story and the visual effect, the CG is outstanding in the Transformer, but the story looks like the one in the children's comic books. Therefore, if we can create a dedicate and inspired story with fantastic visual effect, I believe audience will trust the things that the movie try to express.

Last week I saw so many news which criticize a lot on science fiction movies, I felt really angry, the only reason for explaining this impudent criticism is these detractors do not understand any of science fiction's metaphors and their potential value of promoting human's development. The truth which we discussed in the classes of science fiction movie is to enlarge human's outlook, an outstanding science movie can guide us to a new and bright way of development in aspects of entertainment, society, humanity and technology.
Talking about my two weeks in the university of Minnesota, it was a tough process, I encountered significant problems in aspects of language, culture, custom and communication. However I tried my best to adjust myself as quick as possible to the life here. The art museum was great, there are a lot of excellent work of art there, certain amounts of them implicit and reflect social and cultural issue in some degrees, I like to discover some philosophic connotation in the work of art.
This week will be interesting, we will start to learn Photoshop! I hope I can be more engaged in this class so that I can accumulate more knowledge!

I will share my own interpretation of my photoshop work. Photoshop has the tremendous advantage in the field of combining different pictures together so that the original meaning of each picture will change, the new meaning of the collage will emerge as the whole. I choose expressing my current encounter of confusion and distraction which is generated by my own dream, I choose the following elements for combining the collage:
Planets, I choose different planets with different colors, shapes and sizes for representing my all kinds of goals.
Sunrise background, I choose sunrise background for representing my current willingness of being successful and the foreseeable bright future that I can see.
Ocean, I choose ocean for representing my current encounter of tough situation, and it is unbelievable huge and hard to remove.
The bridge over the ocean, I choose the bridge over the ocean for representing my determination and endeavor to the success.
The melting sky, I choose the melting sky for representing frustration and disappointment
So the planet locates at the middle of the whole collage has a big crack with vast volcanic eruption indicates my current situation: the faster you are willing to be successful, the more hurt you will receive, success requires more patience instead of rushing, and the bridge which can hold up these plants(goals) represents the spirit of consistent work.

This week we learnt a lot of stuffs about photography which I think is very interesting. Photography's contents mostly constituted by the stuffs in the reality, but the usage of different angles, depth of field, long shot and etc. Can actually tells a totally different story, that really attracts my attention a lot. Turning to movies, I think the technique that the director use is similar to the one that used in photography, the purpose of frequently changing the angle of camera in the movie I think is to direct audience's view of scene, the plot can function as the direct guidance for audience, and the changing angles of camera can function as the indirect and implied guidance for audience. One scene from the movie "Transformer 1" I remembered so clearly, when a gigantic transformer came out from a small swimming pool and walk over the head of a little girl, the angle of camera was set as the little girl's eyesight, so it gave audience a significant visual and mental impact. Talk to my first photoshop art work, I really confused about how to express the meaning of art work by words, I think some elements in the art work required people to perceive.

I heard a game designer gave her own speech about how computer games can generate our better lives in the future which really amazed me a lot. Usually we believe computer games is a kind of evil and addictive tools for killing time, students' attention may be distracted by dazzling games, but this game designer talks about how game creates better life not for commercial purpose.
She said that games can solve a lot of real lives problems, improve your spirit, develop your team work skills and problem solving skills, games will like a encyclopaedia, you will experience different culture and life in it, also game can even teach you how to spend your money wisely. Although, recent games can not provide those functions, but she is sure about within 10 years, her design team can handle all difficultlies and provides a large Internet game platform which provide all functions mentioned above.
I believe and support her ideas, games should experience a new revolution now, it will no longer leaves a bad impression of distraction and addiction for people, instead it will teach people how to live better, just like her speech topic: Game makes a better life!

Nothing happened this week, one of my roommate moved out and we have more room now, more space for me to design, my roommates are all kinds of people who fully engaged in Maths and physics, they considered the Art or Design as a inferior subject! I think that is complete wrong, different subject function as different purpose. So, the situation becomes more beneficial for me, so that I can focus on my design stuffs and avoid distractions. My design class: Creative problems solving is really interesting, we had already completed some assignments including six different ways home, sleep different, eat something different, do something different and etc. This is a significant new challenge, you need to plan and brainstorm before you step into the process of implementation. I am looking forward to learn more about Final Cut and start to work on my project 3.

I know a few information about how CG designers work in companies, I also don't know very much about how the whole industrial chain function, but I really have some suggestion about how to make even someone who is the beginner of CG design maximize their personal value. I think one company now can provide a platform, a gaming platform which everyone can register to play, this platform provide a whole universe for players to explore, and the universe itself is made by millions of CG designers, Game designers or graphic designers, players can choose which planet and galaxy they want to explore, and on this planet or in this galaxy, all the landmarks, landscape, background, story, gallerys and cultures are designed by a certain designer or a group of designers, players can take virtual picture of these virtual work of art and share these information with other virtual planets which created by other designers or share these information in the reality, I believe some excellent design companies or groups will discover new talents designers while they are exploring by the platform! Even a little elementary school student's talent will be discovered out a famous design company because he create a fantastic or establish a new theory in his own planet by the platform. Actually, I have kind of a plan that I will invent this platform after I graduate with people who have the same interests in it!

Thank you! Hope in the future a superior computer with ultra capability of generating data and graphics, so that a whole virtual universe can be established

Hey all! Do you guys have facebook? Adding me, I just apply for my own facebook and looking forward to add more friends in it:) search my own name: BoYuan Yang, and you will find me.

I hope I'm adding the right one haha

Yeah, you add the right me!:)

This week I finished my first video, I got thousands of interesting ideas at first, but due to the lack of professional skills, experience and equipments, I only can make a simple and most common video, however this is my first time to make a video with some knowledge gained from the class, I think this is just ok. The video is about a discovery, at first my friend and I come back from a party and felt very excited and then we suddenly hear some horrible noise came from the dormitory, we tried to find out what is going on in the building, then when we just about to enter into the hall way, the other friend of mine also detected the noise, so he joined us to discover it out. Then we entered into a dark room, we used flashlight try to find the source, however two friends of mine felt so nervous that they ran out and left me alone in the room, I kept searching. Finally, I found the problem, it's the cell phone's ring tone. With the background music and the dark effect, it will be much more interesting that what I try to express.

This week, I found two music companies produce a lot of amazing music especially relating to the epic music, the two companies are Intermediate and Audiomachine, these companies may not be recognized by most of people but they are very famous in the field of movies, companies produce a lot of maginficient epic music for all kinds of music, especially Audiomachine, almost all of the background music of 2009 and 2010 movies' trailers are created by Audiomachine including Avatar's trailer. I love listening to the epic music, music itself just likes a guide that point your way to a mysterious but complete new world, and at this moment, you will forget everything that surrounds you and completely embedded in the world which established by epic music. This sounds really crazy, however I really enjoy it despite others' judgments on me. Beside these 2 music companies, I really enjoy Hans ZImmer's music, all of their music just give a brand new feeling which can never be gained from singers' songs.

by the way, everyone's video is amazing, glad to watch them!We have amazing class here!

It's near the end of my first semester in the University, I break a lot of my personal record, the first time stay in the new country, first time leaving my parents for so many days, first time feel I'm so distant from my friends and my hometown, first time learn my favourite subject: Design, first time abandon the subject which I hate the most: Mathematics, first time saw this surprised amount of snowing and temperature, and so many first time that I can't remember. Fortunately, everything goes ok for me, I really apologized for my absences in this class, and I know any excuses are unacceptable, this also give me a experience, which I promise I will never make these mistakes again in the next semester. I learnt multiple things in the Experimental Art class, about filming, photoshop and lots of interesting knowledge about digital art. Like I said in my first blog journal, this is my whole brand new journey, I will embrace and enjoy it!!!

This week and next week will be extreme hard for me, not because of regular final exams, I don't have any final exams, but instead, I have tons of final projects, from all kinds of different design classes. And I was attending more than 10 meetings this week, I was nearly exhausted, and next week all kinds of presentations will come, hope I can perform well, have you guys ever heard a class called Creative Problem Solving? This class, personally frankly speaking, I hate it, when you first glance at this class, the first thing pop up in your head may be your excitement of how to be creative, so do I when I first registered this class, then I found I learnt almost nothing in this class, stuffs that professor talked in the lecturer class are useful, but, still lack of the detailed information of interpretation of how to be creative were put in the lecture, and in the discussion class, it just simply give everyone a chance to tell us what did they do, then there were no analytical or critical judgments discussed by the teacher assistant on them. I was kind of disappointed in this class. Then this term, I really felt being isolated others, the reason is simple: I'm the freshman. Lots of my classmates are sophomore, junior and even senior, they always consider me as "little Kid", well, I have to confess, I really have a lot of stuffs to learn. Then, near the end of this semester, I want to say thank to you all, my classmates, all genius, and my dear professor: GIGI. I learnt a lot of stuffs during this class, much better than the Creative problem solving class!!! I will go back to China at the end of this semester, if you guys want to me bring any traditional Chinese souvenirs, just tell me, I will bring things you want! Since this is the last blog entry, I want to say: good luck everyone!