Caleigh Souhan

This is Caleigh's blog ...

After this first week of class I'm definitely ready for the semester. This is one of the only media classes where I'll be able to mess around with artistic film-making opportunities and use all that fancy equipment. I'm pretty psyched about that.

I haven't made a video for a few years since my broadcast class back in high school, but I've got a lot of ideas that I can't wait to put into action.

aaand I promise to never be late again.

ahh where did last week go???

I've been doing a lot of thinking about life-changing moments, and the effects that such thought revolutions have on every aspect of someone's life. My friend is leaving this week for the air force so we spent a lot of time discussing how the choices we made so far in life were direct products of life altering moments. These revolutions of thought and the process of changing the way that someone looks at the world is a beautiful novelty that life allows us to have.

Revolutionizing thoughts have sometimes really awesome effects, especially when applied to electronic media. As a person who's been scared of technology for a long time, learning to understand the processes that go into the technology allows me to manipulate that technology to my liking.

That's what I've been thinking for the last week, even though I didn't manifest it on time. oops.

the discussion of the defining lines of art is a neverending journey. in my mind art is something that is interwoven with time and culture, with every aspect reflecting on the artist's current or past or future environments. Even though it's difficult to define, just as the experts are only experts in someone's opinion, this lack of a working definition within every aspect of art is part of the bigger picture. We make art to say something that is uniquely personal and expresses our personal perspective. And the experts are 'experts' because they were able to learn about art's history and the full context of how each artwork came to be. Even though the experts tend to digress from the rest of society's view, this disconnect serves as an interesting middle ground to explore.

Art as I see it is about choices, and knowing the consequences of each choice in the given environment that the choice is made. As Bogart says, making choices is an act of violence, for the one thing you choose to play around with kills every other possible outcome. Which is why art has such power, because just by creating artists are able to explore and play with the boundaries that define our world.

-my working definition of the word 'art.'

another thing I've been thinking about.

"What Artistic and Scientific Experience Have in Common - Where the world ceases to be the scene of our personal hopes and wishes, where we face it as free beings admiring, asking, and observing, there we enter the realm of Art and Science. If what is seen and experienced is portrayed in the language of logic, we are engaged in science. If it is communicated through forms whose connections are not accessible to the conscious mind but are recognized intuitively as meaningul, then we are engaged in art. Common to both is the loving devotion to that which transcends personal concerns and volition."

-Albet Einstein.

this narrative assignment has presented a good opportunity to play with composition and the process of combining different visual elements to portray a story. I've played around with a lot of different types of shots and using different subjects, but I've found a good vocabulary to play with. yay for camera projects.

the world of audio editing is something I feel very strongly about. I've always loved listening to anything on headphones and following the stories that noises and the lack of noise can inform the audience about. I'm a total music-head, and getting to play with the recording source as well as the audio's placement in the overall mix is more like a playground for me. I'm constantly creating music videos in my head, and getting to experience the effects of different approaches to music in relation to life as well as film opens up Pandora's Box for me. Now the only hard part is going to be deciding which song to go with.

I'm really digging this video assignment. I've narrowed down my choices for the song I'm going to use and have two shoots planned already. Either song is going to allow for me to explore standard narrative storytelling as well as using images and noise for effects.

I'm also very excited to see how everyone approaches this assignment, as music has so many opportunities and possibilities to explore. Especially with this crappy weather, I think it'll set the mood for some interesting pieces.

This course has taught me a ton about the process of editing, using new media technologies and how to apply personal aesthetics to making these short projects. Getting to work more with final cut pro was huge for me as well as learning the shortcuts on how to edit. Personally I think this class has helped me to use technology to be able to actualize my visions, and it'll definitely help me out in the long run. I really appreciated the videos that we've watched and the powerpoints that help to clarify the processes behind the production of videos. It's been a really fun class and I got to meet a bunch of really cool people. Sweeeet.