Katharine Clark

This is Katharine's blog ...

I've been reading a lot of interesting things by many different authors as of late all in regards to the idea of gender versus sexuality. There are very compelling arguments for both sides, but my mind if working a mile a minute to figure out my own opinions. It's a weird thing to think about out of context, but I feel enlightened reading it. Somehow, more worldly?

While I finish up my last year of school, I decided to get a second job. I was really worried at first, but now I LOVE going to this job. I make good food, talk with good friends and make REALLY good money. I'm not saying the world revolves around money, but who doesn't like having cash to blow at Tatters? :)

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- Marilyn Monroe.

If only the words I want to say could come out as well as everyone else's before me.

On Tuesday night, my roommate and I went to the Uptown theater to embark on a journey that we could never have imagined. We went and saw the new docu-drama " I'm Still Here" starring Joaquin Phoenix in his state of mental breakdown.

The movie was very confusing and hilarious, while I think that hilarity was unintentional. At the end we noticed that it said it was "WRITTEN" and "PRODUCED" by Casey Affleck AND Joaquin Phoenix. So does this mean that he staged his own breakdown or was he back to sanity by time of release?

Either way, I recommend seeing this movie if you want to see insanity, weirdness and fat Joaquin stomachs.

I seem to start a lot of these entries with things like " I went out with..." or " An interesting thing happened to me today..." but I guess my life is just random. As much as I hate structure, it's sort of what I thrive on. Between two jobs and full time school, things just CAN'T happen randomly. However, last night, I randomly went out to a bar in Bloomington with some co-workers and it was truly one of the most fun and hilarious nights of my life. Most of my co-workers are older than me by about 10 years so going out with people older than you in certainly humorous in and of itself but last night at the bar, a creepy guy named Pablo asked if we liked potato tacos. We all looked at him like " Who is this guy and why does he want us to have potato tacos with him?" Anyways, he followed us around all night and kept trying to salsa dance with us. We got sorta creeped out and we walked into the bathroom to try and ditch him and we started to complain about him. All of a sudden a woman walks out and says " I own this place, show me who it is and I'll have him thrown out." We pointed him out to her and she goes " WAHT THE HELL ARE YOIU DOING?!?!" to this man, long story short, the man was her husband. Weird. Things kept getting weirder. We're sitting on the deck all laughing and chatting when all of a sudden a girl comes busting through the door and yells " OH MY GOD RONNIE'S HERE!!!" Our group all looked at each other like what the f. At this point everyone on the deck runs inside, so we eventually follow. Turns out, that in the middle of nowhere Bloomington Ronnie from Jersey Shore randomly showed up. So dumb. He's like 5 foot 7 and orange and is a general drunkard. So attractive, right?

Anyways, productive weekend :)

Like a lot of people in the class, I think the idea of going to Sparkfest was a little nerve-wracking. We’re all busy people and trying to add just ONE more thing to any schedule could result in a mental breakdown. However, as me and my roommate were hanging out at the Triple Rock on Wednesday night about to wander how I said, “WAIT!!! I’m pretty sure there’s a sweet concert going on at the U.” Begrudgingly, the roomie walked with me to Regis…but DUH the concert wasn’t there. So, I snagged the program outta my bag and we jumped on the bus and went on over to Love Power Church. We got in just around the time Greyfeild was playing. At first, I was unsure of what was going on but than I really started to dig it. The randomness reminded me of the old Disney cartoons and there wacky sometimes out of place additions of music. We left shortly after houseluna started to play as it was getting SUPER late.

Than on Saturday, I thought I could just make the start of the Concert at the Barker Center. I made it into the ramp with 2 minutes to spare. I’ll admit that I did not stay the entire time but I did get to see Kristian Twombly’s performance. It was truly unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. It was really weird but really good. All and all I have to say that Sparkfest was something unique. I wasn’t expecting what I saw but in a very good way.

This week has already been full of it's ups and downs. I feel like just when I think I'm all caught up, another project, person or thing pops up and bites me in the ass.

I'm stressing a lot about graduation, which date keeps being played on loop in the back of my head. I've done well for 3 1/2 years and now, for the first time I am getting an overwhelming sense of dread. What happens if I don't pass a class? What happens if my professor actually DOES hate me, like I seem to be convinced of at the time being? All these unknowns are very hard for a person who's spontaneity is even planned. I feel like even if any of these things were true, I wouldn't know how to even begin to rectify them.

This weekend should help. Playing BINGO tonight at some random bar with my roommate, halloween shopping on friday and last but not least, gettin' my zombie on and partaking in the Zombie Pub Crawl on the West Bank on Saturday. 2nd time going, hope this time is wayyyy better than my first ZPC experience.

I shall leave you with a E.Steichen photograph which represents how I feel:

I know this won't count for credit BUTTT I have a good reason as to why this is posted so late. On Thursday night, I was rushed to the hospital due to a allergic reaction I had to a cat scratch. Insert Stray Cats/ Ted Nugent references here.....My entire face was swollen and I had a hard time breathing. Needless to say it sucked, but the shots they gave me in order to regulate it, sucked worse. So friday I stayed home to recoup. This didn't last very long as we had to be evacuated from our apartment Saturday night because of a carbon monoxide scare and were only allowed to re-enter Monday morning. Shitty weekend, huh?

Anyways, my roommate and I were put up in a hotel ( on our apartments dime, awesome) and we just watched crappy HBO movies and ate pizza. It was fun, but frustrating. I stayed up both nights studying for an ANTHRO midterm, which I took today and kicked my ass. Maybe it was due to me memorizing everything this weekend only to forget it when the test was placed in front of me. Oh well.

Hope your weekends we a lot better haha.

So, I feel the need to share this and I'm not sure if it's TMI BUUUT why is it that people are so true when they say " when you're not looking, they'll find you?" It's weird and its like when it rains it pours.

I had my first date in 3 years last night and it was phenomenal in a very girly, "ohhhh, I like this boy," kinda way.

This weekend, I don't want to do ANYTHING. I want to sleep. Sleep hard and forever.

Wings of Desire was an intense movie. It was hard to follow, but beautiful. I'm sad that this movie was remade into the piece of shit " City of Angels." Nic Cage sucks so hard. I seriously can not stand him as an actor. Oh well, personal preference.

Til next week.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/kanye-west/runaway-full-length-film/USUV71002509

I think this is stunning and awesome. Thought I'd share.

Tonight I am rockin it old school, well old school for me and going to first ave to see Motion City Soundtrack. I've seen them 6 times, meet members twice (outside of their concerts: i.e. grocery stores and a target) and gotten one tattoo to immortalize them.

I am very excited for Halloween. My costume is going to be EPIC. Like its the best costume I've eveer made, or thought of.

This video assignment has me really stressed out. I filmed a lot of footage to use for it and now im super unhappy with it. Like, I still like the concept but I feel it's too lack luster and full of cliches. I hope I can figure out how to fix it or reshoot it otherwise I may make myself sick over the stress.

til next week

My roommate and I have been going out with a group of old friends a lot lately and it has made me think about all the things i used to stand of and want to be a mere 5 years ago. College, as cliche as it sounds, has totally changed me. It's neither good nor bad, it's just a really interested thing.

I'm kind of excited to show my movie to the rest of the class because while it may not be the best movie, i had so much fun working on it. My roommate seems to be my artistic muse. What ever are we going to do to occupy our weekday nights when this class is over with?!

Im already excited for my upcoming birthday. THis will be the first time in a long time that I'm going to have an actual party and its totally a a theme party. My friends came up with it and i expanded it and now it looks as though I will be having a Pilgrim and Indian costume party at my house for my birthday! Let me know if you want to join haha.

Well it's another week closer until school is done and I am all graduated and other such glorious things. I find that this whole senior slump thing is quite real and it's REAL bad. I've been doing all my homework and going to class, but I just don't care? I don't know thats a terrible thing to say but it's true.

This weather is out of control. I stayed at work last night through two earlier rounds of cuts because I needed to make money, badly, so I stayed for a party of 50, so you know pizza, booze and gratuity = mad money. Anyways, at about 12:30 our drivers come in and tell us they refuse to drive anymore. 15 minute deliveries are taking 45 minutes and every other street is riddled with spin outs, cops and accidents. It got real bad real fast. So my server pal and I go out back to smoke and the entire parking lots an ice rink. Fell on my ass 3 times in 10 minutes. Felt pretty lame, but also couldn't stop laughing. Anyways, by the time I left at 1:30 the roads were so bad my 4 minute trip from work to home took 26 minutes. Yeah, f that.

My birthday is this upcoming Wednesday. I'm prettttty excited about this one because it's the first time I'll be having a legit party for it since I was like 11. Pilgrims and Indians. Happy birthday to me!

My thanksgiving was pretty uneventful. However, I went to Walmart not once, not twice but three times, which is three times more than I've ever been to Walmart before.

Unfortunately, while my birthday party was a riotous good time, the next morning was a mess. Beer all over our carpets, pillows ripped and yes, even vomit where vomit should not have been. This last thing is the reason I needed to go to Walmart and drop 90 bucks on new bedding. Thanks random party guest!

However, the best thing that happened this break was on Friday night when I could FINALLY put up my christmas tree! So exciting. I love my tree, but I also loooooove all the ornaments I have been collecting for 19 plus years. Every year me and my family go to Daytons/Marshall Fields/Macy's and get gaudy ornaments and now I am proud to say that my tree looks like Cher/Bob Mackie threw up all over it. :)

We filmed our project on Thursday night and it was so much fun that I want to continue to film until we have enough material to make our own youtube channel/ public access tv show. No but seriously it turned out to be a really great concept and we had so much fun that it was worth being cold every 20 minutes when we would break for cigarettes.

This snow however is a huge bummer. People get more and more dumb every year, I swear. It's snow, not the end of the world. I love thar people take the back roads cause they figure the highways will be terrible when in all actuality they're the first things to get plowed and are not even traffic laden because of all the idiots on the side streets. It took us an 1 hour to get 15 minutes (to trader joes) and than that evening we had to wait close to 2 hours for a freaking cab on Hennepin. Thanks a lot taxi driver/bus drivers of the world because we don't need to not get hypothermia or anything.

I think that this blogging experience has lead to some good things and some bad things. I like that I have had the chance to write down my weekly doings because it’s always been something I’ve been rather bad at. I have always wanted to document my life but am such a rigid person that taking time out to do something like that seems frivolous to me. I think that being forced to write is a good thing because it makes you compile your thoughts and also gives you a sounding board, only if you’re sounding off to your, yourself, and you. I think the bad aspect of this is that it made me stress whenever I didn’t complete the assignment.

Overall, I think this class has been super fun and gives me a totally new perspective on the art world, seeing as I’ve been looking at it for 4 years through a very critical lens. The work I’ve made is interesting, not great, but not terrible. I am proud that I completed everything and was satisfied with it in the end. I am grateful I took the class and hope I can continue to progress with my artistic abilities long after the class is done.