Madelaine Walker

This is Madelaine's blog ...

When we were talking about point of view on Thursday, I thought of two shots we talked about when I took film study in high school.
The first one is the shot at the beginning of Friday the 13th, when little Jason is walking around his house in a the mask and the scene is shot from his view behind the mask so the whole screen is dark except for the two eye holes.
The second one is at some point during Rebel Without a Cause, when James Dean is lying upside down on the couch with his head hanging off and his parents come into the room in an uproar. The shot first shows his parents upside down, as he would see them and then the camera turns the right way as he should be getting up. I think there was a mistake made because James dean doesn't get up until after the camera flips, but the point of view deal is still there.

Katherine E. Nash Gallery
The piece I feel like I connected the most to was called "swarm". It tells the story of Daliya Jokondo's experience in three parts. The first of which is her mother's village in Sudan, which was constantly being raided. The second is the event in which Daliya's mother was nearly killed as she was picked up and put into a pickup truck, luckily one of the men recognized her as a childhood friend, saw that she was pregnant, and convinced the other men to let her go. The last section represents the chaos and death which had overcome her life. Throughout the piece there were images of bees, which represented man and their tendency to react violently in the presence of uncertainty.
The point of view of this piece is both of Daliya Jokondo and the artist/faculty member with whom she collaborated to create it.
What I saw as the truth of this piece was the idea that men as a whole read unfamiliarity as danger and tend to react in very illogical and harmful way.

This weekend I flew home to chicago for a family wedding, it was probably one of the most tiring and busy weekends I've ever had. I'm safely back in my dorm at this point and am looking forward to learning stuff all week long. It's weird, but I think I was so disinterested all throughout high school because of the exhaustingly broad and vague content of all of my classes that I love being in a school where I chose to take every class that I'm taking and I genuinely enjoy learning all the content.

I'm excited to go to the spark festival, but I'm a little intimidated because I don't know anything about electronic art. Also, I watched the overview of last years festival and it seems very different. I guess we'll see.

Well...I was all amped to go to sparkfest tonight, but the chemical spill made me a little late, and my buddy system buddy blew me off, so I'm going to try to go tomorrow before it gets dark.

I attended the event at the Regis Center after class on thursday and one yesterday, October second.
At the event on Thursday,the performance that really stood out to me was the one that Mackenzie wrote about with the three sections. I liked that the idea behind the three movements was something I'd never really thought of before, and i thought it worked really well. I don't know if it necessarily didn't work, but the beginning of the second movement made me really uncomfortable, but maybe that was the point. I'm not sure, I haven't really ever been to anything like Sparkfest before. I think the idea behind the performance inspired me to think about performances in general in a different light and to notice how the experience changes after the moment passes.

A piece of art that really startled me was a video piece that showed a robot puppet on a man's hand waving around over a bunch of cardboard scraps, and across the screen, there were statements about art and the future. I thought that what worked about it was the bluntness and coarseness of the piece. What didn't work, was that it wasn't necessarily easy to relate to if you're not very into the art scene. It made me think about our discussion in class when we defined the nature of art, and i thought it posed some interesting and more obscure points.

I finally found out what I'm doing for the project. Thank god.

I'm still not sure what i'm doing for my video project, but i'm just going to rent a camera and play with stuff. I've done quite a bit of research on Harmony Korine, I have only seen one full length movie and I'm planning on renting the rest of his on netflix. I'm especially excited to see the movie, Kids, which he wrote and which I've heard was absolutely fantastic. It's going to be a lot of work to do in the next week, but hopefully I'll pull through.

I've had more technical issues with this last video montage project than I've had with any project I've ever done. I can't even put into words how glad I am that this next project is a group project, so that I don't have to do all of the techy stuff all by myself. It was a complete mess.

After reviewing the work i've already done, I feel ready to make the storyboards better and more complete so that the filming this weekend will go smoothly.

On saturday, we filmed for the project and I think it went pretty well. We filmed at Daniel's house and everything went smoothly although it took a pretty long time. I'm working on stringing the clips together for the rough cut and hopefully that will go smoothly as well.

So, the semester is finally coming to an end and I'm really glad that I chose to take this class. As a whole, I think I learned a lot because I had very little background in everything we talked about. The blog was very useful and I like it much more than Moodle or Webvista, which I use for other classes. I should have utilized the personal posts more often and put more information into them, but I really liked the blog as a way to organize class content.