Tenzin Singhi

This is Tenzin's blog ...

Hello, my name is Tenzin Singhi and I from Northeast Minneapolis, MN. I was born in India and made my transition here to Minnesota in 1998 when I was about 6. I went to Edison High School in Minneapolis, which is considered the ghetto school. I played varsity basketball at Edison and was the #1 plyer from Edison Varsity Tennis team. I am a freshmen at the U of M and I chose the U of M because I took some PSEO class here at the U, I enjoyed the U's environment. The other reason I chose the U of M is because of the cost, which i thought was a decent amount. I love to make beats and play some instruments, and I think that is my artistic side haha.

So what part of India did you grow up??? I lived in India for a year when i was 16. I went to India by myself to do some volunteer work and joined up with centers in Mumbai, Bangalore, and Madras.

I was born in Dharamsala. Its like in Himachel Pradesh, in northern india, mostly all mountains, and thats pretty cool on what you did there. I might go there for summer in 2 years haha, i was supposed to go last summer hah

Just got bored and wrote a poem about my migration to the USA :)

Through exile and adaptation
Through the genocide and torture
never has our hopes been doubted
even through the long journey across the Himalayas

A baby is born were he thinks, Home
but delusions only make him roam
mother questions him, where is America
he replies, “lha yeo”
in heaven

Father is in Heaven, status quo, he is Lonely
But mother keeps him close as if he is the only
the only child that brought hope with a beautiful smile
still the journey was long as the broad nile

While he was being Educated his mother
Worked in the morning
Worked in the afternoon
Worked in the dangerous nights
a micro entrepreneur
selling right next to a sewer
filled with bad smell
but in the end it all pays off well

Seeking the opportunity
Seeking the freedom
Seeking the tranquility
of equality.
Seeking Heaven

1998, an unknown destination
a whole different nation
the sky is blue
while back home it’s yellow
Greeting people, “Tashi Delek,
Hello
But they ignored
as if he was nothing
which left a sting

sound of sirens in nights
he thinks and writes
exposed to many fights
dimming the light of hope
holding on to a rope

He asks his mother where are we
She says, “Heaven”

I must say that getting tickets for Kid Cudi at Homecoming is an irritating task. So at 11pm on saturday the 25th, me and my room mate kyle tried to get the tickets for Kid Cudi on the homecoming website, we noticed after waiting for 5 minutes for the site to show up, it never did. So we tried and tried and it never worked. We just gave up because we thought the reason was is because everyone is trying to buy a ticket. So the next day we asked some friends about the tickets and they also tried but the site was lagging for them to, so we were right about it. At 2 pm I went to the homecoming site and finally got into the website, so after being all happy and finding a super good seat for the concert, the whole thing turned into an EPIC FAIL. To purchase tickets, you needed a credit card, thinking that I only need my U card to purchase. So basically I wasted a lot of hours trying to get tickets. AFTER THAT I JUST QUIT AND SAID KID CUDI TICKETS ARE NOT WORTH MY TIME.

Well this week went by pretty quick and got more work to do in the weekend. I have to practice my Korean, Get my 4 minute speech ready for my Public speech class, and get about 75 pages read by monday. I also have to think about which experimental artist i want to research about for this class. I was thinking about doing Dr. Dre or Ryan Leslie because I am inspired by their production skills and enjoy some of their music. So a lot of work and I really want to have some free time, I can't even watch the Vikings which I always look forward to watching on weekends. I can't watch them because they have a Bye week. I might go partying today at Elixur in downtown since the cover is FREE haha. But yeah I hope this weekend gets better

Wow I have never seen Tibetan Nuns with wigs, they usually go bold now a days, but I have seen something similar like this when the British invaded Tibet, but it picture doesn't look like it was taken by a photographer but it looks more like its been drawn. Some one Posted it up on facebook like a year ago, so I tried finding it but I couldn't. The picture was about how Tibetans would throw rocks from higher level of the mountain when the british military invaded thorugh the mountains. It was basically called "The booby trap in Tibet". Yeah im really surprised by those pics.

For my journal entry, I just want to talk about how classes are going and my experience on campus. So from welcome week to now, the U of M is a fun and diverse place to be. I was pretty scared of not making friends, but since there's so many diverse students, you just can't stop talking to random students and making friends. What I really enjoy about the U of M is the Rec center which I go almost 4 times a week. It's a great way to make friends and take time off of studying. It is my way of relieving stress and work. I also am thinking about joining a new club that my friend is about to make, Which is basically going to be jam sessions with any instruments students want to jam with. Since I play a lil of some instruments I want to know more from people that are dominant in one instrument. I also Joined the SFT group which stands for Students for a Free Tibet, mostly is about the political problems with Tibet and China. So basically its been sweet here at the U and hope it stays like this.

Well this weekend was to much partying and less studying. On friday I went to Hamline University to chill with some friends and my brother who was about to leave on wednesday for Cali to his new Air Force base. That night was so long that I had to take a 3 hour nap when I got back to the U. But anyways, there was a dance party which was called Bahama mama. When our group got inside the party there was barely any one dancing, So when we came in, my friends had a pre game and they just danced like crazy, which got the party STARTED. After that we went back to the dorm and had an after party. At like 2am, the neighbor warned us about the loud music so we turned it down a little. Then at 3, she came back and said that she called the security and they will be there in 10 minutes, so we all had to leave. So we basically went to some other guys room which was right next to my friends dorm and we partied there. So I slept at 5am and woke up and went back to the U, I took a 3 hour nap and went to this speed dating thing at coffmen, which I really didn't want to go to,but my friend persuaded me on going. When we got there, a lot of the guys and girls were already chatting hahah. So I actually got a girls phone number that time because I was only talking to 3 girls the whole 2 hours hah. After that I went to the Epic the club and really had a good time their since its been a long time. And now Im just Watching the Vikings game.

SORRY, MY FRIEND WAS STILL LOGGED INTO HER U OF M ACCOUNT.

So this week I did the usual, spend time on home work and go to classes. During that time I thought about hosting a party for the people on my floor at Comstock hall. So I made a flyer on photoshop at like 2 30am and slid all the flyers under my neighbors door. The plan seemed successful but it was a fail when I heard that I had to go home because my mom said we had to visit some family. So I had to delay the party till next friday. I actually had people come to me and talk to me about this party which was weird hah. So on saturday night I got back in the dorm and watched salt at Coffmen union. It was a pretty good movie but the only thing bad was that it was a typical Angelina Jolie action movie. After that I went to by some food and drinks for the party next week. Now on sunday Im waiting for the vikings game and practicin mixing songs up for the party. That is all I did this weekend

It's time to go trick or treating and get some candy. Well thats what I hope I can do, if I can get done with all this homework.Thursday and Friday was a party day again and the one on thursday had a crappy DJ that would play a song, when the song ended, there would be like a 10 seconds of silence and then a song comes up. Then on friday I had a lil party at my dorm which is a quad and 15 people showed up and really liked my Djing skills. After that party I went to another Halloween Party at Coffmen which was a pretty cool event. we got free candy and their was dancing. The Dj was spinnin some good tracks and a lot of people were having a good time. Now Its sunday and its time for HOMEWORK. The thing about sunday is that I get distracted by the Vikings game because I don't want to miss Sunday football, its awesome with other people watching it. That is my weekend

Well I dont know if you guys have seen the new Kanye West short Film. Its called Runaway and the video is about 34 minutes long. The film consists of some of his new songs from the album "good ass job" and this is one of the weirdest things that I have seen from Kanye. I think the whole concept of his film is about Christianity and how people think hes a jackass, so you see some scenes where he messes up on things, and that kind of relates to how his life is going right now. The quality of this video is very crisp and high, so its really sweet to watch. One of his songs that I really like is "all of the lights", which features Rihanna. Its a weird scene with fireworks, a parade float which has a big head of Michael Jackson, and marchers that are considered like the black KKK.

I also looked at this guy name Ang Chuang Yang which holds the guiness world record for fastest text message character, he did 160 characters in 41.52 seconds which is incredibly fast. I found that in the youtube video Did you know? which are the videos that tell you some crazy facts about random topics.

So this weekend it snowed and now my room is getting pretty cold. I hate it when you have a long week and its finally friday, but you have no plans. It's the most annoying feeling you get when you want to have fun. I felt like my friday was ok even though I did nothing. I just played 4 hours of FIFA 11 which is a soccer game. Since I really like soccer and the world cup, every time I made a goal I would scream out so loud that the neighbors could hear me from downstairs. I also went to Village Wok to get me some fried chicken wings. Also when I went to Coffman, there was a ton of people waiting to see inception. The line expanded all the way to the outside of coffmen. My friends told me that they went 30 minutes early to see inception, but when they were behind 2 people, the guy just said the tickets were sold out. They felt really pissed off. Now I gotta study some korean for my exam

on Saturday night, I watched Dinner with the Shmucks for the 2nd time and it was great comedy. After me and my friend got done watching it at Coffmen, we stepped outside and it was rainy/snowy. After a few steps I almost slipped and after that I noticed some kids just sliding on the streets. It was like a ice skating rink without any skates. So on guy was trying to slide real far but he ended up going to fast, fell, and did like 2 front flips on the ground. There was also the security guards who patrol the campus and one of them was having to much fun with the ice, and fell right on his face, got back up and said he was ok. Me and my friend was just laughing so hard. when we got close to the dorms, they spread salt so it was not so slippery but that kind of ruined the street ice fun hahPr

My Thanksgiving was pretty much studying for 6 to 7 hours and eating some Tibetan dumplings. My dad made them real good and had a juicy taste to it. I was also watching 3 football games the whole day, while doing my homework. The only homework I had was 20 pages of Korean and it took me that long to finish it, I was surprised that only 20 pages can take that long. At midnight I just watched Korean movies and slept around 4am. I woke up the next day at 12 and had to go to a College workshop for high school seniors and juniors. Its called Lamton and our program is to guide high school students towards a higher education. I am one of the mentors and my client did not show up, which was pretty sad because for the whole 7 hours, I helped some other students out. So we did resume building, college essays, and college applications. It was a very productive day for the students and they wanted something like that event again in the winter break, since FAFSA is coming up. Then on saturday I stayed at my cousin and we watched the new Harry Potter which I thought wasn't so good because all they did was run away. Then after the movie we played monopoly for the whole night. Now I'm back in the dorms and it feels pretty empty.

For this weekend we shot our film and it was a long process. The chaps for our props were so long that it looked ridiculous on me, It was fun shooting the film at Daniel's place because the place was really nice and it kind of fitted the setting. We had problems shooting outside on the streets because it was really cold and so we did that scene really quick. After that we just left and went back on campus. So my Friday I just went to a Super Smash Bros Melee tournament and didnt really play because I thought there was going to be players there but I guessed wrong and it was to late to sign up. One of my friend who is ranked 4th in the state played this girl in the first round and she did not know what she was going up against. So what happened was that she didnt hit him once, and that is called a 5 stock game, When you start out with 4 lives and if you dont get touched. After the tournament me and 3 other friends went to (No Ray Bang) which is basically Karaoke in Korean. It was a lot of fun and we took a lot of pics. After that we came back in the dorms and Played Melee till 6 am. Today which is sunday, I really didn't do anything but watch the Vikings whoop the buffalo Bills. That covers up pretty much what I did for the weekend.

Well for this whole semester I was writing mostly all about my weekend and it seems that I had a lot of fun on the weekends. I learned a lot from our class and about experimental arts. From Photoshopping to learning about film production. The experience I got from making a film with my group was awesome, I really didn't know anything about what screen plays are or how you should take shots with the camera. I hope that I can take this information and experience towards the future because I love Art and it's more exciting then a lot of other subjects in college. My favorite project was this last final film project with Daniel,Gavin, Boyuan, and Madelaine. I consider this my favorite project because we had a lot of laughs shooting the film. Also we took a lot of time editing the film and it was hard but we got it done. So I really dont have much to say about this weeks blog but Im going to miss my first semester class as a freshmen and I hope that GiGi becomes something big in the film industry. Thanks GiGi