« Criticism and Response | Main | Un-friended non-witnesses »

What are your summer 2009 themes?

If your summer 2009 were a story, what would the themes be? Mine might be the following:

1. Where does the time go?
2. I sure do like sleeping until 7:30!
3. I'm so happy I get time to do my research!
4. I will never, ever, ever live in apartment without a balcony or a porch, ever, period. I live on the little 12 x 3 foot balcony outside of my apartment.
5. Kiyoko's coming to visit when? Please let my cat not attack her viciously.

Looking bask, none of these seem like themes. Sister Karen Shaver always used to make us find the themes in our short stories, and they were ALWAYS "we tend to champion the underdog." But this summer everyone is an underdog. Everyone is out of work, everyone is unsure about the future, and everyone is working far harder than they should for no money, including me. And I don't think anyone's championing anything, honestly. I have never seen people be so mean in their lives. It's as if everyone has realized that there is a finite set of resources, and the pot is shrinking. Instead of rallying together and making sure that we all get our share, I see people getting meaner, more competitive, sneakier, more underhanded. Even at the YMCA, a place I used to enjoy going, everyone seems at each other's throats. Even the panhandlers are getting meaner!

What are your summer 2009 themes?