« How Jen Will Participate | Main | Some Good Stuff in Here »

Baseball

I enjoyed reading the analogy of watching baseball to reading complex texts. At first, I thought this was ridiculous, but after the point was made about comprehending at a deeper level, it won't leave my mind. Baseball is boring to watch at first, but knowing the intricacies of the game make it much more interesting. I love soccer, too, and find that many people find that boring. I am reminded of how many books that I have taught that are boring to my students and realize that they need to know the intricacies to help build their interest and comprehension.

After reading the chapter, Teaching Challenging Texts, I found that I generally do not spend enough time doing pre-reading activities to prepare my students. Of course, it makes perfect sense now and I have thought of doing it from time to time, but time seems of the essence in our school. It is very common that classroom sets are handed off from one teacher to another and then to another. Our time to prepare, read and discuss is often rushed. I also struggled with Kelly's idea that the first read is like the first draft in writing. Where does a mainstream teacher have time for students to read a 2nd time? Perhaps he means that reading the second time means that students are focusing on a particular concept and not necessarily re-reading the entire chapter or passage.

I usually assign my students to read only those sections that Gallagher asks his students to read as a second draft. So I can imagine assigning students say 20 pages to read as homework in the mainstream, and then taking the first ten minutes of class the next day and doing a second draft reading of one or two pages as a warm up for the day's activities. Does this sound workable?

Thanks, this does sound like a great option. I think I will need more prep time ahead for these books. Maybe this summer...

One of my favorite pre-reading activities os the food presentation I have done with students before reading Homeless Bird set in India. I think the students watched for the names of dishes they'd tasted and for the characters who were introduced around them. It also helped having two students for East India in my class whose parents were willing to donate the delicious food.
Lynn