« Metaphors We Live By | Main | Response To Jen's Entry »

Deeper Reading, 5-8

I like these chapters immensely, more than chapters -4, which I thought repeated so many other writing teacher "how-to" books that I've read in the past.

I tried to pick just one of the chapters that I liked the most, but I couldn't narrow down my favorite to just one. My conclusion is that i like chaapters 5, 6, and 7 over chapter 8. While I see the importance of chapter 8 (personal reflection), I probably would limit the amount of time I spend on activities like this (perhaps just one?), merely because of the constant time crunch all teachers deal with.

As I commented on chapters 1-4, I think these activities are very purposeful and will deepen students' comprehension and understanding of the text, rather than merely being "fun" class activities. For example, the instructional scaffolding in chapter 6 to promote higher-level thinking in small groups was very useful. I'm going to try "Silent Exchange," "Trouble Slips" and "Mysterry Envelopes" in my grade 11 class, both regular and honors.

Also, chapter 7 (using metaphors) is filled with strategies to get students to think more deeply and creatively about literature. I especially want to try out the extended activities like the "Iceberg Metaphor" and then extend it to a writing assignm ent. I'm going to use in with The Scarlet Letter because so much of the characters' motivations are hidden.

Any other ideas or words of wisdom?
Joyce M.

Joyce, as I read your entry today i wondered if the iceberg activity could be used in some way with the sketching activity that Kritine did today. For example, make a sketch and afterward have the students draw a horizontal line through it and discuss what is above the line or seen and what is below the line.
Lynn

Excellent suggestion for using the iceberg metaphorical graphic organizer with The Scarlet Letter. I also liked the silent exchange and mystery envelopes.

What's been your experience with group exams? Kids suggest them, I've never tried them for points.

I would echo Lynn. After listening to Kris today, and given my reservations about metaphors as graphic organizers, I would encourage students to sketch their own metaphors in reaction to text. I suppose they do need to be trained though. I won't get around those pre-fab activities in chapter 7.