« What I liked about Ch. 9 & 10 | Main | 3rd Reading-Reality Checks »

Good, Bad, and Ugly

After reading this entire book, I am amazed at how full it is of wonderful ideas to enhance reading comprension. So many times, I have been sitting frustrated with my students trying to figure out how to help them. Most of the times it comes down to throwing something tried and true that the kids have probably seen before. Now, I feel like I have a plethora of ideas for the fall and a great resource for years to come. My only critique is Gallagher's writing style. At times, he's long winded and over-explains some of his theories. For example, when he talks about when he was coaching his daughter's softball team, he goes on and on about the detail(132). I get impatient with this and wish he would do a bit more summarizing-but that's probably just me. Overall, I think this has been a great book!

Kim, I agree that parts of this book feel "fluffier" than other parts. We can really see his love of metaphor in the way he extends his! Reading this text along with Inside Out reminds me that I like my texts to be pretty meaty and grounded in research , argument, and evidence. So, not surprisingly, my favorite chapters in Deeper Reading were 5-8.

Hi, Kim. I was googling around last night to find ideas for my group role of connector, and I hit upon the concept of "aliteracy," which was apparently really hot in the news last year based on what I found. There's one article in particular that explains how and why young people are becoming aliterate that might help alleviate some frustration about students just not reading the books we assign. I'll copy it for you.

Hey, you used to write great, but the last few posts have been kinda boringˇK I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a bit out of track! come on!