« Action Strategies chapters 1-3 | Main | Stepping into a Classroom »

Kendrick pages 1-60 (like the affective piece)

Greeting and salutations from the land of When Kids Can't Read.

Beers' comments about the kid who says "I don't get it" reminds me of the idea of the helpless handraiser in the work of Fred Jones. It is so easy as Kate the student teacher learns to do the hard work of interpreting for the students in the service of moving on or keeping the agenda moving.

I liked Beers' reflection about getting her first teaching position and realizing that she was more interested in what kids were sayinbg about the topic at hand that what they were actully studying. This comes down to politics for me and makes me think to the imporant of the affective piece in the learning. Recently, I heard an education policy wonk pontificate about how we don't actually teach history and literature anymore. We teach the love of learning and the appreciation of the content. This made me think also about the confidences readers need. Of course, one of those has to be social and emotional confidence.

Beers writes that improving the cognitive aspects of reading does not ensure that the affective aspects of reading will automatically improve. This challenged my beliefs because in my idealistic mind I see students enjoying reading if they have several cognitively successful reading experiences.

Struggle was another important idea for me. Beers thinks that anyone can struggle with the right text and there is value in teaching how to struggle.

There are other pieces of the section that inspired me.

1. I've never made an instructional plan for a student. I like the one for "George."
2. Strategies and skill are not the same thing. Strategies lead to skills.
3. Strategies need monitoring and modeling. I like how Beers indicated to remodel the strategy with a new genre. Lightbulb!
4. Beers encouraged extensive rather than intensive reading. The movement in my school currently seems to be more intensive.
5. Education is not a Nike commercial. Neat quote.

Lastly, I've taught "Eleven" and my lesson looked a lot like the initiate, respond, and evaluate model. There are several strategies I will try modeling with it the next time I do it.

If you ever get the chance to hear Kylene present, take advantage of it. I learned so much from her book and from attending her presentation. I could just see myself as that high school teacher who didn't know how to respond to a student who couldn't read --
I always thought -- I don't teach reading!

And Eleven - what a perfect text to use to model and teach strategies. This is one that I've found my students have SO many reacitons to, they don't mind interacting with it "extensively."