« chapters 4-6 | Main | Chapters 9-10 »

Post-reading strategies

In my teacher prep program there was a lot of work on before reading strategies and during reading strategies. I certainly appreciate all that Beers has to offer in this section of the book (especially the inferences because I don't know I've every been shown a graphic organizer of an inference--page 64), but the chapter on extending meaning and after-reading strategies seems exceptional not only for struggling readers but for the high flyers who may be challenged to remember more details or change the text into another form. Even though these are reading strategies, nearly all of them require writing (some minimal and some extensive).

I've found that when students have to do something with the text (put it in another form, memorize a section, write in response to a character) they take much more ownership and care more about what they do. This is affirmed in Beers when she writes about what after reading strategies could accomplish. She says students will be encouraged to connect what they are reading to other texts or personal experiences. A typical post-reading strategy for me is having a class discussion about teacher posed questions. I think I've had some success with my discussion techniques and I try as hard as I can to move to relevancy and authenticity for my students. I want to try scales, SWBS (p 144), retellings, reformulations, It Says--I Say, and Most Important Word in my classroom. My plan is to use these as discussion starters because they all sound more interesting than the questions that I usually come up with. I've often culminated a novel unit with a thematic discussion, but now I want to try these strategies.

Thank you guys.

[url=][/url]

Thank you guys.

[url=][/url]

Thank you guys.

[url=][/url]

Thats I have --
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/search/google?keywords=site%3Aforumlivre.com%20biagra
buy generic biagra [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/search/google?keywords=site%3Aforumlivre.com%20biagra]buy generic biagra[/url]

Sources just like the one you talked about here can be very useful to me! I'll post a hyperlink to this web page on my blog. I am certain my guests will find that very useful. Big thanks for the helpful info i discovered on Area Information Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

I was questioning if you would like to be a visitor poster on my web site? and in exchange you could possibly embrace a hyperlink your post? Please reply while you get a chance and I'll ship you my contact particulars - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

Have you ever thought about including a bit bit more than just your ideas? I mean, what you say is vital and everything. But its got no punch, no pop! Possibly for those who added a pic or two, a video? You possibly can have such a extra highly effective blog if you happen to let individuals SEE what youre talking about instead of simply studying it. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve obtained one thing good here. But what for those who added a pair links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you might give us something to have a look at, something that might connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not much good source like this.

I was wondering if you want to be a visitor poster on my web site? and in trade you could embody a link your submit? Please reply once you get an opportunity and I'll send you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good supply like this.

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you happen to added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you could possibly give us something to take a look at, something that might join what youre saying to one thing tangible? Just a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there will not be much good supply like this.

Sources like the one you talked about right here can be very useful to me! I'll put up a hyperlink to this web page on my blog. I'm positive my visitors will find that very useful. Massive thanks for the helpful info i found on Domain News Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.