« I think that New Orleans gave me asthma | Main | Cats »

April Showers Bring May Flowers

So, when I arrived on campus today, it was 60 degrees out and sunny. I biked to class in springtime glory, soaking in the warmth and trying to hide my face upon remembering that I forgot to put sunscreen on. It was wonderful. I even wore leggings and a skirt, and wasn't cold at all. Feeling the warm air, listening to the birds chirp, watching children play outside and mothers walking their babies in strollers... all of it made me forget how quickly things can change.

I was in Shakespeare class, not so much bored but still hopelessly trying not to nod off (I think it's more the time of day and not so much the content or the drone of my professors voice that makes this a regular occurrence) when I noticed the weather changing. It seemed as though a dark cloud was moving in, "could it be rain?" I wondered. I hoped that it wasn't, I had on a silk skirt that I don't like getting wet, and who likes biking home in the rain anyhow? Class ended and it only seemed to be getting darker, and by the time I got outside it was sprinkling. Looking around I noticed that there was definite blue sky beyond the rain cloud, and I thought I might be able to get home without getting too wet. So off I went.

Not far off of campus, I happened to look towards downtown and saw the prettiest puffs of dark cloud with wafts of rain trailing down like delicate spiderplants formed out of stardust. The trail of rain seemed to fit in so well with the tall buildings of downtown, continuing the pillar of gray color where the buildings reach their height and the rain begins. The sight of rain moving in from the distance is one of my favorite sights, even when it occurs at the most inconvenient moments. It reminded of when I was a child, and my dad and I were out fishing on a lake up north. We were visiting a family members cabin and because it was a beautiful day, we took out that persons small boat with an old motor. We were pretty far out in the lake when we noticed the weather begin to change, and over a line of trees behind us, a line of black clouds with sheets of dark rain became visible. because I wanted to feel grown up or something, I was steering the boat, which was controlled by a handle coming off of the motor at the back of the boat. When we saw the rain, I quickly turned the boat around to head home. The only problem was that I turned the motor to quick, and the handle attached broke off just as the boat began to turn, and we were suddenly spinning around in circles. Whilst spinning, my dad and I had to switch spots so that he could control the motor, and then we started for home, a little shaken and very dizzy. We arrived back to shore in the knick of time, and got into the cabin just in time to see the wave of rain come upon us. It's a humbling experience to see the fury of nature come upon you like an opposing army.

So as I was biking home today, I thought that I was in the clear, and was going to make it home with out getting too wet. That was when it started to hail on me. It was only small hail, pieces of ice surrounded by snow being thrown on me like on me like trick snowballs in a snowball fight. It wasn't too bad until the rain got heavier and I was quickly very soaked with water. I wasn't really too upset, It was kind of fun to be out in the first real rain of the year. The one crack of thunder I heard made me feel all the more heroic. The only thing that was not fun was the wind blowing against me, making ever pedal feel like my hardest gear. It reminded me of a storm that we had late last summer. The storm I'm thinking of was a real storm, where everything is suddenly eerily still, and then a rolling black cloud moves in with fierce wind and crackling thunder. Thankfully my evening class was canceled that day, and I just sat in my room watching the storm move in. Suddenly though, I remembered that my roommate Clara had class, and I quickly darted out of my room to offer her a ride to campus. But she was already gone. "Why would she leave knowing the fury that was about to be poured down on us?" I asked her boyfriend. He just shrugged his shoulders in a typical way. When Clara came home hours later, I demanded and answer to my question. She said that she knew what she was getting into, and wanted to know what it would be like, despite the danger. Apparently it wasn't too bad, the hail didn't hurt and the wind didn't knock her down, but there was a massive puddle flowing out from where she sat in class, which was a little embarrassing. My experience today was nothing like that.

By the time I arrived home today, it was once again sunny and calm, no more rain or wind. The birds were chirping and my cats were waiting eagerly for my return so that they could go outside and enjoy the sun. My clothes are now drying as I sit and type, and I'm feeling very happy that it is finally spring.