John Grau on German Cuisine

I went to Germany believing that there is no better way to experience another culture than by indulging in a variety of their foods. After consuming delicious pastries, mouth-watering meals, and satisfying bier, I left Germany with a wonderful appreciation for their food and culture.

Upon arriving at our hostel, one of the first foods that we were exposed to was Berliners. A Berliner is a central European doughnut made from sweet yeast dough, which is fried in fat, filled with jam, and topped with either a powdered sugar or glaze coating. I found Berliners at most pastry shops and street stands, and by last count, I had eaten over 20!

P1000380.JPG

Another delicious meal that I had was Schweineschnitzel. This was a breaded pork dish that was served with mushroom sauce and fries. It was presented to me warm and was very tender to cut. I think that this dish would be good with ketchup and maybe a squirt of lemon, but the mushroom sauce added a sweet and smooth finish that reminded me of turkey and gravy at Thanksgiving.

P1000731.JPG

A visit Germany would not be complete without a bratwurst. A few other singers and I shared a brat in the train station prior to leaving Hannover, and I believe that this was one of the best brats that I have ever had. The brat was longer than I typically find in the states and had a wonderful sausage spice flavor. It was served in a very fresh and soft bun, which provided a contrasting texture to the brat.

DSC06026.jpeg

Any meal requires something to wash it down with, and the local Detmold brewery didn't disappoint. One fine drink is the Detmold Pillsner, which is a tasty lager and light in feeling. This would have been perfectly paired with the Schweineschnitzel that I had. The other brew that I tried from local brewery was the Detmold Landbier. This beer was amber colored and made from roasted malts. It was refreshing and full-bodied, and would compliment a bratwurst very well.

Of course we all tried and preferred different things, but the foods that I mentioned in this post left me with a wonderful taste for Germany and did not satisfy my hunger for travel. I will have to go back for more!

This page contains a single entry by colby055 published on February 23, 2012 11:46 AM.

Collaborating with the Detmold Hochschule für Musik Voice Department- by Dale Kruse was the previous entry in this blog.

Bonding with our German Friends is the next entry in this blog.