U OF M SCHOOL OF MUSIC SUPER FAN OF THE WEEK: JOE HENRY
It's SOM SUPER FAN Saturday! SOM Super fans are SOM alumni, students, faculty, and staff who are the fabric of our musical community. Follow the SOM on Facebook to find out how you can become a SOM Super Fan. Let's meet this week's SOM SUPER FAN, Bemidji native Joe Henry (M.M. organ performance, 2009; D.M.A. in progress; Dean Billmeyer, major teacher and advisor).
1. Where are you currently working (state, employer) or where is a favorite place where you have worked in the past?
Music director of Delano Catholic Community, adjunct Concordia University, St. Paul.
2. Where are you originally from (hometown)?
3. What was the last live performance that blew you away?
University of Minnesota's performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in Northrop Auditorium a couple years ago. I was surprised at how good it was.
4. Do you keep in touch with your U of M School of Music classmates and/or faculty mentor?
(Still a student, pursuing a D.M.A.) Yes, Dr. Billmeyer organ studio classmates all got together for lunch last week and we talked about Billmeyer!
5. What's your favorite thing about the U of M School of Music?
The quality of faculty members and students.
6. Where was your favorite place to eat/hang out on campus?
I never had time to eat.
7. What phrase do you still hear your mentor repeating over your shoulder?
Quit bobbing your head and relax- NOW!
8. What's most frequently on your playlist?
Western art-music (all of it)
9. What are the first three things that come to mind when someone mentions Minnesota?
1. Natural resources (water)
2. Friendly people
3. The arts