« July 24, 2011 - July 30, 2011 | Main | August 7, 2011 - August 13, 2011 »

U of M School of Music Super Fan of the Week: Bill Pederson

bill pederson.jpgThis week we meet Bill Pederson, current Music Library Circulation Desk Supervisor & Reserve Coordinator and alumus (B.M., Voice Performance, student of Clif Ware, Glenda Maurice, Wendy Zaro). His playlist includes everything from Monteverdi to Joni Mitchell and knows the Secrets of the Music Library.

1. Where are you originally from (hometown)?
I am from Roseville, MN.

2. What voice type are you?
I am a tenor, in the Ensemble Singers of VocalEssence, Contracted Singer in the MN Chorale, church musician, and I sing where ever and whenever I can.

3. What was the last live performance that blew you away?
There are so many, yet, singing under Kathy Romey when she directed Mozart Liturgical Works with the Minnesota Orchestra last Spring. Watching her face while she shared her artistic vision with the orchestra gave me goosebumps.

4. Which singers have influenced you the most?
I love singers that don't have the cookie cutter voices. Mark Padmore and Elly Ameling have lovely voices that inspire not only with their clear tones, but their commitment to true musical expression through text, the true purpose of vocal music (in my opinion)...but what do I know?

5. What do you like most about the U of M School of Music?
I love walking in to Ferguson Hall and the fact that the smell of the building brings me back 10 years, but means something different now.

6. Name your favorite musical moment at the SOM.
This spring, I sang the role of the Evangelist in Bach's St. John Passion under Christina Chen-Byers. We both spent a lot of time haggling over the recitatives- what they meant emotionally, and how to portray that through performance.

7. Where is your favorite place to eat/hang out on campus and/or the Twin Cities?
I love that there is Dunn Bros Coffee in the Wilson Library Basement, but food and beverages are not allowed in the Music Library ;)

8. What's most frequently on your playlist?
French Baroque Cantatas by Clérambault, and Campra, Bach, Monteverdi, Britten and Joni Mitchell.

9. What is something you know about the Music Library that no one else does?
That it is the best Library on campus? That we have many first editions and old printings, and things that are fascinating in the rare book room? That we have over 24,000 different CDs that range from Monody to Baroque Cantatas, to Cajun and Rock and Roll and All are available to listen to?

10. What are the first three things that come to mind when someone mentions Minnesota?
Snow, State Parks and the "Lutheran Choral Tradition."