U of M School of Music Super Fan of the Week: Kyle Hutchins
This week we meet SOM Super Fan saxophonist Kyle Hutchins! Kyle is currently a master's student studying with Professor Eugene Rousseau. He recently moved to Minnesota from Texas and he's already figured out where to find some of the best vegan food in Minneapolis.
1. Where are you originally from (hometown)?
2. What instrument(s) or do you play?
Saxophone mostly, as well as flute and clarinet. I can also play some pretty sweet four-chord songs on the guitar.
3. Name the last live performance that blew you away.
A few summers ago I saw Coldplay perform live in Dallas. I had the cheap tickets, sitting on the lawn, but they did a set on mini-stage set up in the back, so my "cheap seats" became front row. It was just after Michael Jackson died, so they played a few covers of his music and it was fantastic!
4. Which musicians have influenced you the most?
My high school band director was a saxophone player, so I was raised the right way, listening to the greats like Cannonball, Bird, and Trane. The biggest moment for me though was the first time I heard Michael Brecker play "Delta City Blues" It was basically that moment when I decided that saxophone was what I was going to do with my life. Although I don't play much jazz anymore, I'm not sure I would be doing music at all if it had not been for jazz band in high school and my exposure to all those great musicians.
5. What do you like most about the U of M School of Music?
The tunnels! I am from Texas, we have to leave one building to get inside of another.
6. Name your favorite musical moment at the SOM (if you have one yet).
Well, I just started my Masters here, so I haven't heard or taken part in any performances yet... but so far I would say getting to hear Dr. Rousseau play in lessons and studio class. People all over the world have to settle for recordings and we get it live every week!
7. Where is your favorite place to eat/hang out on campus and/or the Twin Cities?
Hard Times Cafe!
8. What's most frequently on your playlist?
The Garden State soundtrack. It has lived in my car for the last 4 years.
9. What are the first three things that come to mind when someone mentions Minnesota?
"Dont cha know," "You betcha", and "Howya doin."
10. We hear you're vegan. What's your favorite vegan treat?