« February 3, 2013 - February 9, 2013 | Main | February 17, 2013 - February 23, 2013 »

Listen to SOM Professor Alexander Fiterstein on Classical Minnesota Public Radio on 2/21

Listen to School of Music professor Alexander Fiterstein (clarinet) on Thursday, February 21 at noon on Classical Minnesota Public Radio (99.5 FM) in conversation with host Allison Young about his upcoming Midwest concert tour which will include performances in Minnesota, South Dakota, Iowa, Indiana and Montana. See full tour schedule here.

Jing Chang wins 2013 University Symphony Orchestra Concerto Competition

Congratulations to U of M School of Music student Jing Chang (piano, student of Paul Shaw), winner of the 2013 University Symphony Orchestra Concerto Competition. Chang will perform Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major with the University Symphony Orchestra on March 4, 2013 at Ted Mann Concert Hall. Concert information.

U of M School of Music alumnus Ryan Truesdell wins Grammy Award

Ryan_Truesdell__photo_by_Dina_Regine_depth10903ba15e89a.jpeg.pngU of M School of Music alumnus Ryan Truesdell (B.M., 2002, music education) won a 2013 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement for "How About You" from "Centennial: Newly Discovered Works of Gil Evans" (ArtistShare). His record was nominated in three categories. Read about the Gil Evans Project and why Truesdell can be called the Indiana Jones of jazz in The Washington Post.

Truesdell reflects on his time at the School of Music and shares, "I credit my experiences at the School of Music with my fearless approach to new things. Professor Dean Sorenson encouraged me to pursue my interest in jazz...".

He also recalls, "At the School of Music there was support and nurturing for what I wanted to do and there was a real life aspect to it. You have to have real life experiences away from a practice room to really grow as a writer. The School of Music offered me this nurturing in my music as well as life in a big city."