First Universalist Church of Minneapolis is a growing, vibrant community with over 1,000 adult members and 500+ children and youth enrolled in Religious Education. Our liberal religious tradition welcomes people with diverse beliefs in a spirit of mutual respect and good will. We gather to encourage one another to spiritual growth, to share life's journey, and to work together for social, racial and environmental justice.
A successful candidate will be comfortable with a wide range of musical genres and be willing to work collaboratively with others to shape the music program and coordinate it with worship themes. She or he will work to improve vocal abilities, raise participants' musicianship, and create a spirit of joy in the choir. She or he will understand the children's choir as a community, balancing the work of rehearsing with the fun of being together. She or he will exhibit the leadership and interpersonal skills not only to collaborate with the staff, but also to produce "good-quality music" in limited rehearsal time with children with a wide variety of experience, and to encourage and recruit children so that the choir stays strong.
• Build a rich program that engages children and youth through music, igniting and deepening their connection to beauty, one another, community, and the sacred.
• Part-time, 9 ½ month exempt position from approximately Sept 1 to June 15, averaging 10 hours per week. Opportunity exists to renew agreement in subsequent years. Pays $800 per month.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Direct a children's choir of 20-50 members in 1st-5th grade
• Conduct weekly children's choir rehearsals on Sunday mornings
• Collaborate with Worship Team to lead children's choir in 5-6 performances in the worship service
• Provide musical accompaniment and song leading for children's worship on Sunday mornings
• Work with the staff and community to envision new ways of integrating children of all ages and families in music-making throughout the community
• Singing experience
• Experience in a wide breadth of musical traditions, techniques and cultures
• Able to play piano or guitar
• Communicates a joy of music-making and singing
• Effective classroom management skills and techniques
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills
• Comfort and willingness to learn about Unitarian Universalist heritage and traditions
How to Apply:
The deadline for applications is August 15, 2013. Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume, and video or audio samples if available, to ... or send mail to ...