The Music Director coordinates the music used in all worship services, oversees care of the church's musical instruments, and involves as many people as possible at UBC. The Music Director will work with the Pastor, Worship Planning Ministry Team, and any other groups of people to plan the music for worship. We are a Welcoming and Affirming church and plan our services from this perspective. We use inclusive language. This person will play the tracker organ and other instruments as called upon for service and rehearsals.
Worship service - Sunday - 10:00 a.m.; choir rehearsal - 9:15 a.m.
Choir rehearsal - Wednesdays - 6:00-7:30 p.m.
Compensation: Commensurate with Twin Cities AGO scale for 3/8 time position
1. Coordinates the music program of the church, including the choir, soloists, and any other musicians.
2. Works with and goes to the Worship Planning Team meetings, and meets with the Pastor to help select music appropriate to the worship themes. Provides church office with details of musical selections for bulletins by given deadlines.
3. Plays organ and piano for all worship services and choir practice.
4. Conducts choir practice and Sunday service performances.
5. Coordinates the tuning and maintenance of instruments, as needed.
6. Recruits and supervises paid section leaders.
7. Develops the musical skills of the members of the choir through rehearsals, coaching, mentoring and appropriate feedback including an annual performance review for paid section leaders.
8. Helps coordinate special services that may be in addition to regular worship; this may include funerals, weddings, or other important holy days.
9. Arranges for substitutes in his/her absence.
10. Helps to develop the annual budget, writes an annual report of the music programs of the church, and administers the budget when approved.
11. Helps to empower the congregation members to grow their spirituality through music.
12. Coordinate musical events and projects as assigned and helps to promote and advertise musical programs and events.
13. Performs other duties as may be requested or required.
1. Good interpersonal skills, able to work with others (both professional and volunteers) in a respectful and professional manner
2. Ability to direct and develop a choir
3. Ability to play the tracker organ and piano
4. Knowledge of music as it relates to worship
5. Strong oral and written communication skills
6. Demonstrated experience as a strong team member
7. Bachelor degree in music, or equivalent
The position can be divided 1/4 organist for 12 months, 1/4 choir director for 9 months, beginning January 1, 2014.
The deadline for applications is November 15.
Please send applications to email@example.com, or by mail to
University Baptist Church
1219 University Ave SE, Minneapolis
Attention: Mark Weinfurter