Pilgrim Lutheran Church in St. Paul is seeking Choral Scholars. Openings are available for all voice parts.
Purpose of the Position
· In addition to fulfilling a few needs at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, it is our hope that this position can act as a learning opportunity that inspires and invigorates a Choral Scholar's own growth. There are many opportunities for leadership and to use one's individual talents for the glory of God. We hope that this position helps the Choral Scholar discover and revitalize musical strengths and passions, specifically and especially in the context of music ministry. Current college students and recent graduates will be given priority consideration for this position.
· Attend weekly Wednesday evening choir rehearsals (90 minutes, 7:15-8:45pm)
-this may sometimes include leading a 20-30 minute sectional rehearsal, if skilled in this area
· Attend the assigned Sunday morning service (often the 11am service with a 10:15am warm-up)
-this may include singing a solo, conducting the choir, etc., if skilled in one of these areas
-occasionally we will sing for the 8:30am service (with a 7:45am warm-up) and about once a semester we will sing for both services on the same Sunday
-the choir often has one Sunday off per month, but still rehearses almost every Wednesday
· Attend special occasion services like Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Good Friday
· Pay will be $20/hour. Hours will be tracked using time cards.
· On average, the time commitment will equal about 3.25 hours a week
· Start date is Wednesday, September 3, 2014. The first Sunday service will be September 7, 2014 at 9:30am (8:45am warm-up). A schedule of Wednesday rehearsals and Sunday services will be prepared at least one month at a time, continuing until May 31, 2015. Preference will be given to those available for the entire year, but those travelling during holidays or available for a partial year are encouraged to apply as well.
· If the Choral Scholar will miss an upcoming rehearsal or service, he or she should let the Music Director know as soon as possible, no later than one week prior to the absence and preferably at least one month ahead of time. If the Choral Scholar will miss a Sunday service, the Music Director may hire a substitute, in which case pay for that particular week will go to the substitute instead of the Choral Scholar. No pay will be given for days absent.
· A Choral Scholar may occasionally be allowed to miss a Wednesday rehearsal and sing the following Sunday, but one who will miss an upcoming Sunday may be asked to also give up pay for the previous Wednesday, so the substitute can sing for the rehearsal instead.
· Excessive absences, chronic tardiness, or significant difficulty singing the assigned part may lead to dismissal of the Choral Scholar.
Church Address: 1935 St. Clair Ave, St. Paul, MN 55105
For full consideration, send resumes and requests for an audition by August 25 to the Music Director, Paul Stever, at SteverPaul55@aol.com or call the church at 651-699-6886.