Falls accounted for over $13 billion of the overall cost burden to employers through U.S. worker compensation costs.
- Falls on the same were the second leading cost to of disabling injury in 2008
- Cost to employers was $8.37 billion and accounted for over 15% of the injury burden
- Falls to a lower level were the fifth leading cost to of disabling injury in 2008
- Cost to employers was $5.29 billion and accounted for almost 10% of the injury burden
- The mean total work comp benefits for indemnity claims due to falls and trips was $40,043, which includes case reserves for claims that are still open(2007 - 2008).
2010 Workers' Compensation Indemnity Claim (loss of 3 or more days from work) due to fall accidents:
- Average indemnity benefit: $17,100
- Estimated mean medical benefit: $21,500
- Total estimate work comp benefits: $38,500
- Fall injury indemnity benefits accounted for 20% of all indemnity benefits paid for claims closed between Jan. and Sept. 2010 (Zaidman, 2011).