The Man in the Glass | Main | The Wild-erness

The Unscheduled Task

Is the presence of fear necessary and is it possible to truly relinquish an existing fear?

Posted by at November 14, 2005 9:23 AM | Kit's Wilderness

and so - what is your question?

Posted by: Mary F. Wright at November 14, 2005 3:12 PM

I think fear is, to an extent, completely necessary. We need to fear those things that will harm us; it serves a quite logical purpose.
Some fears are quite illogical, but I think focusing all of our worries in the world on one or a few things can make those floating worries seem more concrete and manageable.
Relinquishing fears is a more difficult concept. The cliche we're all familiar says we can rid ourselves of fears by facing them. I think this points to the fact that many of our fears are illogical-- all in our heads. By facing them, we remove those feelings of worry or fear we've attached to them, but I think those feelings still exist, either concrete in other places, or abstract, floating worries about the world and our place in it.

Posted by: Randi at November 17, 2005 8:40 AM

I think that fear is absolutely necessary in our survival. There are many incidences where fear is what saves us. Also, I think that our fears say something about who we are as a person and by knowing our own fears, and other peoples fears, we will get to know ourselves and others on a deeper level.
I think some fears may be possible to relinquish, but some fears are almost impossible to overcome and I don't think that it is possible to be entirely free of fear in this world.

Posted by: Robin at November 18, 2005 9:20 AM

I think fear IS an importance in everyday life, it is the part that decides the whole "fight or flight" course of action when we need it. But as far as fear goes, to me, fear does not relinquish fear, fear spawns new fear. Lets say somebody is afraid of goblins, and anything to dowith them. Then they hear that "goblins live under beds" in some story. The fear of goblins now sparks the fear of "things under the bed"...because of fear we are able to react to different situations, even though it may not be pleasent, if one somehow does conquer a fear, it is alomst a gate into a whole new light. Although you know in the back of our minds, that fear still exists.

Posted by: Brian Reed at November 20, 2005 6:48 PM

I think that fear is very necessary. Without fear people would be killing each other and jumping off cliffs without ropes. I think that is is necessary for our every being. We learn from our mistakes and with the fear it pushes us to do things. I think, and this is just my opinion, that fear makes us better people. It makes us think and it makes us rational people. I don't think fear relinguishes fear because fear comes off of being afraid. If I am afraid of something fear isn't going to get rid of the fear. The only thing that could relinguish fear is overcoming it.

Posted by: Kimberly at November 30, 2005 11:34 AM

Like everyone above me wrote, I truly believe that fear is a natural and extremely necessary part of life. As babies we come into the world with very apparent inborn fears of falling and loud noises (a newborn will react immediately with a startle reflex to both threats), however, most fears are acquired. Sometimes we are able to relinquish fears, and other times, we learn to live with them. For example, I used to be petrified of bees after seeing the movie "My Girl", but I was able to get over this fear as I grew up playing outside and realized that bees don't always sting you. But ever since I can remember, I have had a severe case of arachnophobia. Spiders freak me out like nothing else. I have never gotten over that, and to be honest, I don't think I ever will. We all have our own individual phobias, and realistically, many of us will never be able to truly relinquish them. However, we do learn to deal with them and devise methods to avoid and cope with our fears.

Posted by: Rachel at November 30, 2005 8:15 PM

I feel that fear is completely necessary in everyday life. It is necessary because it protects us from danger in society. I feel that most fears can't be relinquished because they often stay with you to help you stay safe.

Posted by: Brittany at December 12, 2005 3:28 PM