« The Curious Incident of the Conflict in the Night-Time | Main | Infidelity »

Hold My Hand 2

Download file

What does holding hands mean? What can it signify?
Did any images in particular stand out to you?

Randi, Erin, Brittany

Posted by at November 28, 2005 4:18 PM | Empress of the World

Holding hands is a very abstract action to describe. It is a symbol of so many positive feelings. We can hold the hand of a dying loved one. We can hold the hand of a significant other while going for a walk. We can hold a child’s hand to ward of fears. Handholding is a wonderful way of sending love to another individual. It is always meant to do good, because if it wasn’t, then it would not be constituted as handholding any longer.

The images of the presentation really showed the extent of handholding. It crosses all borders…race, age, sexual orientation, gender, etc. We could all do with a little bit of handholding.

Posted by: Sandy at November 28, 2005 10:05 PM

I think holding hands is a diverse action that we do. It can mean so many things to different people. Holding hands can show affection or friendship. People hold hands when they are praying or when they go to a game and the players go into a circle to chant. I think that it is a really good thing to look at because it shows how diverse we all are and how differently we see things around us. We are all seeing the same thing two people holding hands but we see it through different filters so that is why it is different for everyone.

I think that the images showed how diverse we are. Kids were holding hands, adults were holding hands, even the same sexes were holding hands. I think that the images really made you think on how different and hard to define one simple action is.

Posted by: Kimberly at November 30, 2005 11:08 AM

Holding hands is a sign of love. Husband and wife hold hands while walking to the car, mother's hold their three-year-old's hand while crossing the street, and Catholic's hold hands while praying "Our Father" together. Each relationship is very different, but each relationship is formed around love. I wrote a poem for one of my friends that connects strongly to this idea.

"Hold my hand; feel me now. Because I love you, but I not the words to tell. For my hands were made only for me by God; so hold my hand, and feel my heart."

Everyone's hands are different; just as everyone is different. And in holding hands, we are really holding each other.

It's also very interesting how we can hold hands in different ways--and some are defined by how a relationship is. For instance, the images showed holding hands by clasping, or cupping, them together; interweaving fingers; holding hands with one hand on top and the other on the bottom; and holding just parts of the hand, like a few fingers. I feel that these different ways of holding hands are also defined by what kind of relationship the two people have together.

Posted by: Jamie at December 5, 2005 11:49 AM

Holding hands, to me, is the closest you can get to a person...in public. It may even be the closest you can feel to a person at all, because holding hands, for me signifies a bond, not only literally but figuratively as well. I think that holding hands is one of the most intimate, caring, and reasuring thing someone can do with someone else. I tend to be reminded of how I interact with the elderly at my job. Whenever I really want them to know that I am hearing them and am trying hard to understand what it is they need or want I hold their hand. Whenever I am guiding someone to a destination, I hold their hand. Holding hands is a sign of safety. Whenever you connect to someone else, rather it be physically or emotionally you feel a sense of safety. Holding hands is marvelous...everyone should try and hold someones hand EVERYDAY!!

Posted by: Erin at December 8, 2005 12:24 AM

The act of holding another's hand is a representation of caring and most of the time, of love. Like the others above me discussed, we hold hands to show our romantic love for someone, to display our affection for a parent or child, to protect and care for such as a teacher and student, etc. The images in the presentation were beautiful depictions of the powerful feeling behind holding hands. I loved that the images were so diverse in nature; it made for an extremely realistic statement.

Posted by: Rachel at December 18, 2005 11:37 AM

I think it is more the mindset and the motive behind the hand holdery that initiates what it signifies. You can hold hands with your worst enemy or your best friend or some random guy (although the first and third happens probably less often).

Posted by: Jake at February 6, 2008 10:10 PM

"the greatest feeling was when he reached for my hand.....he held it with strength and possession....telling the world that I was his alone.....I felt safe and loved, and I never wanted to let go.....that....is what I miss the most"

Posted by: Patsy at December 28, 2008 3:31 PM

I recently lost my Father and I was holding his hand when he closed his eyes. I can't explain the feeling. Overwhelming, is probably the best way to express it. He held my hand throughout my life, through storm and celebration. When his last breath left him there was a rush of birds reflected in the hospital windows across the way from his room and I knew that he went with them. My Dad has taught me so much,the last lesson being that to comfort a person in pain is the most important act in the world. I will miss you Dad...but I know you will always be with me.

Posted by: Libbyerality at February 16, 2010 10:11 PM