« Scene It? | Main | Avalanche »

and sometimes i hear this song in my head

Download file

What songs do you run through your head to make you feel calm in times of stress? What is the meaning of the song? What is it’s meaning to you?

-Brian

Posted by at December 5, 2005 8:15 PM | What Have You Lost?

I Have many songs that run through my head, depending on the situation. But, when i was younger I always used to sing "My Mommy comes back.." song that my mom taught me whenever she had to go somewhere so I knew that she would come back for me. It provided a sense of comfort and stability. Hope.

Posted by: Robin at December 6, 2005 2:42 PM

I don't think I never have a song playing in my head. If it's not one I have made up on guitar or in the shower, it's more than likely John Mayer, Ben Harper, or Bethany Dillion who sings me to ease. One song imparticular brought great ease to me when I was overseas--that song being "When I Look to the Sky" by Train. As the lyrics go, "Cause when I look to the sky something tells me you're here with me; And you make everything alright. And when I feel like I'm lost something tells me you're here with me; And I can always find my way when you are here." I would seriously sit outside my 3rd floor, screenless window, peering at the stars--realizing that even though I was half-a-world-away, the same sky blanket's the people I love at home as they sleep. The unity, the comfort I felt from those words brought me to smile again.

Posted by: Jamie at December 7, 2005 1:40 PM

The one song that I can say runs through my head at any time of the year as a calming tool, is Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas.� When I was younger and couldn’t sleep after watching a scary movie, I would play the song in my head as it was in the movie “White Christmas.� Now, I make the song run in my head when I can’t sleep because my mind is in too many places. I try to block out everything with the music. To me the song is a reminder of all the Christmases I’ve spent with my parents, whether we were in Alaska, Minnesota, or Mexico. We usually watch “White Christmas� on Christmas Eve too. The lyrics are even written as if someone were thinking of being with their family during the holidays:

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten, 
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

To me, the entire song is a reminder of good memories, which always make me feel good, no matter what time of the year it is.

Posted by: Sandy at December 7, 2005 5:14 PM

I love music so songs run though my head all the time. But when I am feeling really down and low I sing in my head "Dont Worry Be Happy" by Bob Marley. Some of the words say:

Here's a little song i wrote,
you might want to sing it note for note,
don't worry, be happy

in every life we have some trouble,
when you worry you make it double
don't worry, be happy

My brother Nick used to sing that song to me when I was little. If I seemed just a little bit sad he would come up to me and hold my hands and then sing this song. So now I still sing this song in my head when I feel sad. -good memories

Posted by: Kimberly at December 7, 2005 11:00 PM

I guess songs aren't ever right their in my mind, unless I had just heard it, but I know that music always provides a comforting background for me at all times. I love music, all music to me has some comfort in it...isn't it always said that music is "the universal language?" I really enjoy listening, reflecting and being a part of music. My brother is a song writer and guitar player. His voice is beautiful and when I watch him perform it provides a sense of pride and comfort because he makes me so proud. Yeah music!

Posted by: Erin at December 8, 2005 12:58 AM

I love, love, LOVE music!!! It is such a beautiful thing, and I'm sure the majority of us wouldn't know what to do without it. Like Kim, I CONSTANTLY have a song in my head that I'm either humming, singing, or whispering the lyrics to. My roommates and family have all learned to deal with all the frequent musical outbursts I have. When I'm overwhelmingly stressed, I find myself turning not to songs that are personal favorites of mine NOW, but songs that my dad used to play when I was little, such as Neil Young's "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" and Lynryd Skynryd's "What's Your Name?" I believe that the song I play in my head the most when I'm stressed, though, is another song my dad introduced me to when I was younger: Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's "Free Fallin'". That has been one of my favorite songs for years and years. While the lyrics aren't the happiest, the chorus is so upbeat and liberating and whenever I hear it I MUST sing along, especially when in the car where I totally do the "Jerry Maguire" thing and yell all the lyrics and drum on the steering wheel. "She's a good girl, loves her mama, loves Jesus, and America too...She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis, loves horses, and her boyfriend too......And I'm Freeeeeeeeeeee, (dun-dun dun) Free Fallin'!" Good ol' Tom Petty can always cheer me up and help me destress and relax for a bit. :-)

Posted by: Rachel at December 9, 2005 4:26 PM

Beautiful question, Brian.

I go through spurts of adoration for new music, so the songs in my head are repetive for a week or two til I move on to my next inspiration.

Currently I can't get Lyle Lovett's "Nobody Knows Me Like My Baby" out of my head. I hum it in the shower, I'm still singing it when I get out of my car (usually to an embarrassing look of a stranger), and I'm making everyone I know listen. Before Lyle it was Kanye West, before Kanye it was John Mayer Trio.

Having a song running in my head saves me from boredom, defines my mood, or helps to work through emotions, I think.

Posted by: Randi at December 12, 2005 2:29 PM

I absolutely love music! The music that makes me calm when stressed would be anything from Dave Matthews Band. DMB is such a great band that focuses on great ideas and topics that really calm you and make you think. One song that i absolutely love is #41 or trippin' billies. It just reminds me of my friends back home and that makes me very happy and relaxed. The meaning behind these songs are mostly about being merry and having no worries cause tomorrow will come!

Posted by: Brittany at December 12, 2005 3:40 PM

When I think of how strong the muse of music is, I am surprised we don't utilize it more in the classroom as teachers. Classical music has a very soothing effect on me. Specifically I like Schubert or Brahms for this. I also enjoy listening to the cello and Yo Yo Ma plays beautifully. As far as contemporary music, I think Irish balladeers such as Sinead O' Connor, or celtic rock - U-2, are songs that have a lyrical melody and rhythm that soothe the soul.

Posted by: Mary F. Wright at December 14, 2005 11:45 AM

For me when I'm feeling overwhelmed by school nothing settles me down better than some Frank Sinatra. I'm not sure why it just does. For stress in general though, one band that really helps me is Death Cab for Cutie. They focus on the beauty of life and looking beyond the material world, something that really helps me gain perspective on my day or life at that point. As an avid music enthusiast, music has become a strong medicine in my life and for a lot of situations there has been nothing better.

Posted by: Nate Miller at December 15, 2005 11:55 PM

You can't be 77453 serious?!?

Posted by: Max Ballstein at August 11, 2006 9:53 PM

I listen to Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig In The Sky" or even the whole Dark Side of the Moon album! The whole repertoire is soothing especially the opening cut Breathe In The Air and of course, the Great Gig...

Posted by: does Provillus for women work at January 25, 2010 11:14 PM

"It is well with my Soul"... this has always been one that brought great comfort to me when I felt stressed or troubled.

Posted by: Johanna at April 24, 2010 10:39 AM

Posted by: Johanna at April 24, 2010 10:40 AM

Actually many of the kiddie lullabies give me peace in times of stress. Kinda makes sense if you think about it.

Posted by: Jeff Roth at August 15, 2010 8:59 AM

I think it is. Very good stuff, I agree totally.

Posted by: Nathan at September 4, 2010 2:42 AM

I like listening to thoughtful music or light music. Something like Jason Mraz.

Posted by: James at September 20, 2010 7:07 PM

Whenever I feel tired and stressed especially when my whole body is so sore because of a long day work, I just listen to christian music...And that's it

Posted by: jason at December 28, 2010 4:42 AM

This is a big question. While I'm keen on the Dark Side of the Moon answer, I have to go with two lullabies that must have been sung to me when I was a baby. Brahms' Lullaby and Sleep My Baby. Can barely make it to the end before I'm asleep. Long live Pavlov.

Posted by: Tim at January 7, 2011 7:29 PM

While the Dark Side of the Moon answer is a great one, I'm big on the lullaby answer here, too. Something for all of us parents to keep in mind. A personal favorite is Amy Robbins-Wilson's Circling. She's got a great set of pipes for relaxation music.

Posted by: Tim at February 8, 2011 2:35 PM

The song that most relaxes me or should I say changes my whole surrounding is How Great is Our God by Chris Tomlin!

Posted by: Neal at February 19, 2011 1:31 AM

is it ethical to cultivate so many young musicians for such a small (and shrinking) number of jobs? Campus administrators are of course right that it isn't their responsibility to try to dissuade talented, music-obsessed kids who've been working toward the goal of an orchestra job for most of their lives from pursuing it.

Posted by: music citizens at August 1, 2011 6:56 PM

it really depends on one's own personal preference

Posted by: Tech n Stuffs at August 19, 2011 3:54 AM

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like 'Mixview' that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you're listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of "neighbors" will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune "Social" is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

Posted by: iphone 5 at September 30, 2011 4:15 PM