and sometimes i hear this song in my head | Main | Hitchhiker

Avalanche

Download file

How does monotony and the dreariness in our lives influence how we perceive our world and interact with the world and others?

-Robin & Rachel

Posted by at December 5, 2005 8:18 PM | What Have You Lost?

I think many college students feel like they are in the very world you have described. Many get bogged down by work and forget what it is like to have free time and relax. I do not know any students who have not once complained about the workload brought on by college life. I think some of us will let it affect the way we live our lives. It becomes hard to be optimistic and cheerful while constantly feeling stress about an upcoming exam or presentation to give. This is especially pertinent at this time of the year with finals nearing. Everyone is in a scramble to tie up all the lose ends of the semester. At times it seems like there is no end, that there will not actually be a break at the end of all this work. Due to this major factor consuming our time we may let it trickle into the rest of our lives. This semester, personally, even being an individual who does not postpone work, I have had to do schoolwork on Thanksgiving Day and miss out on decorating for Christmas with my family, and these are some of my favorite, if not sacred activities. It just goes to show how much school can affect our lives. I think the idea of college producing monotony and dreariness can be applied to anything, such as a job, a relationship, or a season. Any factor, if we let it, can really change how we see and act in the world.

Posted by: Sandy at December 7, 2005 4:48 PM

I will definitely agree with Sandy. Maybe I have always felt the stress of school, but college is and has been an exceptional time where I have felt the stress. I think this affects everything that I do, including the person I think that I become when college work gets stressful. I guess I really don't like that person, and I am often preoccupied with "the next due date" to really sit back and enjoy this time. They always say "oh this is the best time in your life, enjoy" they said the same thing about high school...kinda wishing I would have taken that advice then, and its sort of nice to be reminded of that now, but I am hoping that it just doesn't go down hill from here, I think life is what you make it...you conciously choose what you do and why you do it...if it doesn't make you happy, don't do it...but I guess you always have to pay taxes, so we're stuck with that...but I think it is important for everyone to find something in life that makes them happy!!

Posted by: Erin at December 8, 2005 1:03 AM

It's crazy, I just finished reading a book I think comments well on this topic.

Through Painted Deserts, by Donald Miller. He's amazing, I think you should read him if you haven't already.

Anyway, he talks about how much we've removed ourselves from the earth, how we live in the lives we've created and get caught up in commercial desires, straying from the beauty and ever changing nature of the earth. Only... he says so much better than I can summarize.
Basically, he says, we need to keep shaking things up, keep changing our lives and our locations like the seasons in order to keep life fresh and meaningful.

I would tend to agree.

Posted by: Randi at December 12, 2005 2:32 PM

Our psychological mood creates an aura or an ambience that follows us and affects our actions and interactions with people. It doesn't help that the climate in the northland can be so grey and cold for so long. If we enjoy what we do on a daily basis that really helps. Creating is a way out of dullness, because using the imagination is the opposite of dull, it is varied and multi-perpectival and colorful and engaging. Love is another important aspect of happiness. It breaks the monotony naturally by providing a reason for living.

Posted by: Mary F. Wright at December 14, 2005 11:49 AM

Like others have already said, I feel college makes me feel this way as well. I get so restless sitting and doing homework, when I feel like just getting in a car and driving away from it all. With all the responsibilities college demands, it feels like the only times im "alive" is the weekends, and even then its somewhat artificial. But really its up to what I make it, and I intend to change it soon. I feel the monotony that school places on me definitely affects my mood and outlook on things, but over time I feel I'm learning to change that. Quoting from one of my favorite bands Death Cab for Cutie
"If you feel discouraged
That there's a lack of color here
Please don't worry lover
It's really bursting at the seams
Absorbing everything
The spectrum's a to z"

Posted by: Nate Miller at December 15, 2005 11:43 PM

Everything we do can affect how we feel and how it makes others feel. Once you can come to understand how your own life operates then you can truly live a fulfilled life. Everything happens for a reason, whether it is good or bad, but you must always embrace what comes your way.

Posted by: Convergence DVD at December 7, 2009 4:35 PM