« Avalanche | Main | Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten »

Hitchhiker

Download file

What could you pack into a suitcase that would mean home to you?

-Randi

Posted by at December 5, 2005 8:19 PM | What Have You Lost?

This may seem odd, but my suitcase would have a bunch of seeds of littl break-offs or roots of my plants so that I could start them back up when I found a place to. I am obsessed with plants and love my plants like they're family - I know I am a nutjob.
Besides that, I would have a picture of my mom, and my boyfriend and my roomies.
As long as I have my photos to remember, my plants, and my camera for all the memories to come, I would be in great shape.

Posted by: Robin at December 6, 2005 2:47 PM

When I went to Sweden to study, I learned how much home means to me. Home meaning everything it represents; my family, my bedsheets, my chair at the table, my dog, the trails I walked behind my house, the scent of my mom's coffee in the morning and my dad's Copenhagen scent when I hugged him. I remember crying with my roommate telling her if I could just go home for one day, all I would do is stay in my house, eat Doritos with Top-the-Tater, listen to my kid-brother ramble about all he wants to tell me, and lay on my mom's lap on the couch, letting her play with my hair as we watched Law & Order. I don't think I could put that all in a suitcase, but if I could, I would have. In my suitcase, I would put my photo album of my family and friends, my green fleece blanket, my rosary, my oil pastels and charcoal, drawing paper, a notebook, a good read--like "Captivating," and Snoopy--my childhood beanbag toy that has survived all my hugs--and Bernie--my stuffed bear.

Posted by: Jamie at December 7, 2005 1:28 PM

...and ofcourse my guitar. :)

Posted by: Jamie at December 7, 2005 1:41 PM

Well, I have moved around quite a bit and the one thing that seems to make my new location my home, is my parents. Since I can’t put them into a suitcase, I suppose photos would have to suffice. I save a lot of cards, so I would put a few of those into the suitcase. I would probably like to have some of the things I surround myself with at my desk, like quotes, poems, and vintage pictures. I like to save things I get in day-to-day life, not necessarily souvenirs, but priceless things, like ticket stubs, certificates, postcards. I would want those to remind me of what I have done. If I could, I would bottle the scents of my home, since those remind me most of what home feels like…Thanksgiving dinner, fresh cut Christmas tree, my mother’s meals, my dad’s antiques, the bathroom after a shower, new warmth with the coming of Spring and Summer. I don’t think any of the materialistic things matter though, so long as I have my family. They are what really makes my home what it is.

Posted by: Sandy at December 7, 2005 4:30 PM

When I graduate I am going to move down to Florida with my boyfriend to get a job. I have always been really close to my family and I do everything with them. I am going to find it really hard to move and not have them be there whenever I want. Like I said in class Christmas is really big in my family and I know I am not going to be able to come home for every Christmas. So in a fiction world I wish that I could bring my family in my suit case. I know I couldn't do this so I would bring pictures and home movies. I am going to be really home sick so I am going to bring my cell phone so I can call them whenever I can. I would also bring things with me that are very meaningful. My dad and I watch alot of movies so I would bring our favorite movies with me. My mom and I started a charm collection. So I would bring my charms to remind me of my mom. This may sound stupid but I would bring a stationary set so I could write to my brothers and sisters. I would also bring a camera so I can take pictures to send home. This may seem like alot but I wish I could fit more.

Posted by: Kimberly at December 7, 2005 10:53 PM

This is an awesome question!!

Okay, so I would pack my bunnies...I have two bunnies that I have had since I was a baby, and still have them and without them nowhere would be home. I would also pack pictures of all of my family. I would also like to have music along because music always has a way of changing and altering my surroundings to make it feel more like home. I guess I would need my cell phone, although my mom would disagree because she seems to think I don't answer it enough to be worthwhile, but I would definietly bring it anyways. I would also pack a notebook and pen to have to write because this tends to alter my surroundings as well...I guess that is it...again GREAT QUESTION!!

Posted by: Erin at December 8, 2005 1:09 AM

When i would pack a suitcase that had everything that meant home to me, i would have a lot to pack! First off, i would pack a picture of my family, and friends so i could see them whenever i missed them. After that, i would pack one of my favorite blankets that my mom gave to me. It always reminds me of home. I would also have to pack some tatortot hotdish and some indian tacos because those are two things that i ALWAYS have when i'm home.

Posted by: Brittany at December 12, 2005 3:42 PM

Hmmm...tough question. I guess the first thing I would pack would be lots of pictures of my family and friends. I would also have lots of pictures of the cities and places I used to spend my "home" time at. I would also have to throw in several home cooked meals and my cell phone and if possible (but not) my bed, because there is nothing quite like my bed at home...mmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Nate Miller at December 15, 2005 11:19 PM

I would pack tons of pictures of my family, friends, and boyfriend. Also, I would bring my music collection, my journal, my favorite huge Final Four basketball tournament sweatshirt of my dad's that I also lounge around in at home, a sample of the cinnamony potpurri that my mom also has in the living room, and I suppose my cell phone because while at college, it is my means to get connected to home with the push of a button.

Posted by: Rachel at December 18, 2005 12:14 PM

Year health and happiness!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/search/google?keywords=site%3Aforumlivre.com%20biagra
buy generic biagra [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/admin/search/google?keywords=site%3Aforumlivre.com%20biagra]buy generic biagra[/url]

Posted by: biagra at August 7, 2007 1:43 AM

Great question. For me the road always has been home to some extent. I guess it would be small gifts from friends I love that I could carry with me.

Posted by: Shane at September 2, 2007 3:36 PM

Dapper Dan :)

Posted by: Sean at September 2, 2007 3:39 PM