« Hitchhiker | Main | Obituaries »

Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten

Download file

How do you think you will feel when you send your son or daughter off to school for the first time? Change is one of the most feared occurrences in life…. How do you deal?

-Erin & Brittany

Posted by at December 5, 2005 8:21 PM | What Have You Lost?

If I ever adopt when I am older, I think that the first day of Kindergarten will be bitterweet.
I will be so proud to be sending my child into the world and watching them develop into a unique entitiy, but I will also be regretting that they have already grown up so much and they will no longer be that sweet, innocent child. Letting go.

Posted by: Robin at December 6, 2005 2:54 PM

I think that I would be more nervous than my child would. I think that I would be happy because my child could go out experience new things, learn and meet new people. But I think that I would be overcome with such emotion that I wouldn’t know what to do. When I send them off to school I would look at them and want to freeze time because they are growing up so fast. So I guess you could say I would be both happy and sad. Change is hard to deal with but it comes with life and you have to find your own ways to overcome it if it needs to be overcome.

Posted by: Kimberly at December 7, 2005 11:05 PM

The last hug I give my kid before I walk out that name-tag-ridden classroom that smells of construction paper and Elmers will be a memory that plays back to me for the rest of my life. Five years old and yet so big. It'll be their entrance into a new world, a scary but beautiful world. And when they are my age, and coming home to me, every hug I get from that point on will flash through my memory--and I know the only thing I will know is how blessed I am to have them. (I so can't wait! :) )

Posted by: Jamie at December 8, 2005 10:24 PM

I envision mixed emotions. Sending a child off into the world must be hugely stressful-- wondering if you've prepared them in all the right ways, if they'll be ready to engage in the classroom learning process, if they'll keep their clothes on... kids are unpredictable! At the same time, taking that step into the world is incredible-- your child will be learning new perspectives from people, much of the time, who have much to offer. Plus, from what I've heard, school will provide some freedom from the stresses of child raising.

Bottom line, I'll probably cry like a starving baby.

Posted by: Randi at December 12, 2005 2:35 PM

I picture myself being taken back by how quickly time has gone by. Life gets so busy, and only appears to get busier once you have a career and a family. Already my days are never long enough, I can't imagine then. It will be the first day that I realize how much has already been accomplished and how much more there is to come. I will be excited for my son/daughter to make new friends and begin a new stage in life, a very fun one at that. It will also be a day where I am reminded of how blessed I am to have such a beautiful child and all the wonderful things that await me.

Posted by: Nate Miller at December 15, 2005 11:33 PM

This question made me recall how my dad acted when he walked me to my first day of kindergarten. I was sooo excited to go and learn and play and make new friends that I didn't realize that I would no longer be home with him anymore all day. I gave him a hug and turned to join the other children in the sandbox, but he gently grabbed my hand and gave me another enormous hug. My dad realized how fast I was growing up, and I know now that that day was a very hard one for him. I believe the my son or daughter's first day of kindergarten will definitely be bittersweet. I won't want to believe that my baby is already old enough to attend kindergarten and be put in the care of a teacher all day. It will also be a happy, monumental occassion that my child has began his or her ride through school, growing, teachers, friends, and learning. But yes, like Randi, I'll probably cry...hopefully I can get it all out the night before though, so my child doesn't have to see it. :-)

Posted by: Rachel at December 18, 2005 12:20 PM