Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten | Main | Playing for You

Obituaries

Download file

Do you view death as a negative or positive transgression, or even a transgression at all? Why?

-Nate & Ryan

Posted by at December 5, 2005 8:22 PM | What Have You Lost?

I have always viewed death as the closing act in the play of life. It is not something to be feared, whether you believe in the after-life or not. It is simply just the end of a process, and possibly the entrance to a new process in itself. This reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my friends not too long ago. I was asked since I am a Christian if I believe when people die they go to heaven. I answered yes. My friend then asked me if I pray the Apostles' Creed. As I answered yes, he stated, "and He will come again in glory to judge the living AND THE DEAD, and His Kingdom will have no end...." Never before had I recognized that. Does this mean that when we die, our souls rest in waiting for Christ's return as the living still live?

Posted by: Jamie at December 7, 2005 1:14 PM

I am not going to go into the whole religion thing but I have mixed emotions about this question. I believe that it is hard when you see all these little children around the world dying. I find it hard to view that as a positive transition. If someone has lived a full and happy life than it is easy for me to say yes it is positive but of course that is the case. I believe that we are all here for a reason and if it is a person's time to go then it is their time. But in a general perspective it depends on if you believe in an after life. Death is something so complex that I spend hours upon hours thinking about it. It is hard to think "what happens when I die" So I know this doesn't really answer the question but it is so hard to answer.

Posted by: Kimberly at December 7, 2005 10:43 PM

People always say, "well it was their time to go." I think people believe this, or want to believe this because what is the alternative?..."they should really still be living right about now?" no. That really doesn't work for anyone. I think that people often are too selfish to understand the process of death. Often people think of their loss, their pain, and their sorrow. This is only natural, but isn't it fair enough to say that when a relative is lying on a bed dying, and all you can think about is your loss, that really you should think first of the other person. What have they accomplished, what are they leaving this world with, etc. And granted many of you are thinking "what a cold person" what about the children that are dying? Reincarnation is a powerful and somewhat controversial topic, but is it possible? Isn't anything possible? So why not believe in the most hopeful thing you can, because maybe it was just their time...but this doesn't necessarily mean that they stop there.

Posted by: Erin at December 8, 2005 1:16 AM

I definitely have mixed emotions on this topic. While I try to tell myself when someone I loved or was close to has died that it a positive thing because they are able to watch over us all and feel no pain but only joy, I myself experience a lot of pain. I cannot say whether I feel death is negative or positive, but I will say that I make every attempt to try to convince myself that it is positive. It just doesn't always work.

Posted by: Rachel at December 18, 2005 12:25 PM