Feeling Infinite | Main | Discovery

in·fi·nite

in·fi·nite adj.
Having no boundaries or limits.
Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance.

In The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Charlie listens to the song Asleep - The Smiths and at that moment he felt infinite. This video captures moments of feeling infinite in Duluth, Minnesota and relates to Charlie's experiences.

Relate to some of Charlie's experiences in the book. What inspires the feeling of being "infinite" for you; music, activities, place? Describe an experience as if telling a story about feeling "infinite."

Posted by at March 19, 2006 3:00 PM | The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Charlie rides through the tunnel as he experiences the first cognizant moment of conceptualizing the feeling of being infinite. This video re-casts the feelings of being young (or old- or whatever age you are) as you seize upon DUluth at night -
A glittering necklace
wrapped around the northern inland ocean
one moonlit night
high upon the peopled hillside
projecting to the future
while blanketed in the moment
riding through the tunnel
letting go of time

Posted by: Mary F. Wright at March 21, 2006 4:18 PM

I feel that I can really relate to the setting of when Charlie talks about being infinite. I can even think of one place in particular that inspires the feeling of being infinite for me. There's this back road, that isn't in the best shape, which goes off the highway towards my cabin. Rarely do I have people pass me because it's pretty much back in the woods. Anyways, I drive down it in the summer when it's usually beautiful out and listen to a variety music in my car. When I'm listening to these songs, I find myself paying attention to the lyrics and relating them to different parts of my life. Whether it brings up a memory or is something that's currently going on, it's a time where I feel infinite!

Posted by: Dorie Craker at March 22, 2006 5:08 PM

I think there are many things in my life that make me feel infinite. Two of the main ones are music and writing. I absolutely love to journal. I write about the most intimate times in my life, stories and feelings I never want to foget and so much more. I add pictures as much as I can and also other artifacts that help the memories of that certain time come back. When I'm journaling or writing I usually have music on. I love every kind of music but I especially love a lot of acoustic stuff. My family and friends that I love also make me feel infinite at times; my life would not be the same without them. I am grateful for all of these things becasue without any of them I think I would be a much different person.

Posted by: Ashley Baker at March 22, 2006 9:21 PM

I feel as though sometimes objects can make everything, such as your problems, just go away! This gives you an emotion of being infinite. For example, when I am having a good day and I hear a song on the radio that I love, I feel infinite. I think the things in life that we LOVE make us feel infinite because for a period in time, we feel so happy that nothing else matters.

Posted by: Beth Sorensen at March 23, 2006 7:58 AM

Every time I am up on stage, singing the words to my own songs, I feel infinite. Music is the way I express my soul, and to put it out there for an audience is the scariest but most fulfilling experience I’ve ever known. The stage transforms me into a different person. It empowers me and takes me to a brand new world. When I’m on stage I feel like I belong there and never want to come down.

Posted by: Jessica Steinbauer at March 23, 2006 11:49 AM

I think that I feel the most infinite when I am home alone and I am listening to music. I like to light candles and lay in my bed and think about "stuff." It doenst matter what runs through my head. It can be as minor as what I am going to do the next day, or I might be thinking about an argument that I had just gotten in. Whatever it is that I am thinking about, the fact that there is no one to bother me and I am able to let my mind wonder makes me feel infinite.

Posted by: Kristin Bochler at March 23, 2006 12:40 PM

I feel most infinite while boating across the lake on warm summer day. I love sitting at the very front tip of the boat and looking ahead at the beautiful lake a head of me. I can only hear the sound of the motor and the wind, so I think and worry about absolutely. It is a time of pure happiness and relaxation!

Posted by: Ann Jarrett at March 23, 2006 1:18 PM

My family makes me feel infinite. Now that we have all grown and have our own busy lives going every which direction, I appreciate even more the times we get to be together. Even thought it is most often just hanging out at our house, it makes me feel so good and I look forward to those times. We have endless photo albums to look through and home movies to watch. These memories have bound us together forever and strengthened our relationships. I have seen my brothers graduate college, my little brother get his drivers license, and my sister get married and have a baby. Being an aunt is also a great feeling of infinity. He is so amazing and I feel on top of the world when I get to spend time with him. Next Friday I will be there as my other sister gets married and I'm sure it will be just as magical. Family to me is my infinity.

Posted by: Jessica Engle at March 23, 2006 1:49 PM

I can recall numerous times of feeling infinite, but for the most part I would say that I felt and still can feel infinite whenever I'm just hanging out with my friends and laughing so hard that problems just seem to go away. It doesn’t happen all that often, but typically it's late at night when we all just want to relax and unwind together. I never really realize these times as being so special until the next day or a while later, but I realize that during those times I never worry about the future and it just seems that those times could go on forever.

Posted by: Christine Schmitt at March 24, 2006 10:55 AM

Times of feeling infinite usually come along when I am relaxed, by myself, and listening to music. Sometimes it happens when I am seeing something wonderful, like a mother wiping the snot off a child's nose, or an old couple holding hands. These times make me see the love that is capable in the world. Also, I feel infinite when I am driving without a destination or a time-limit. It makes me feel like I can go anywhere and do anything. All these times make me feel infinite because I can see that anything is possible in life.

Posted by: Amanda Davey at March 27, 2006 1:20 AM

Feeling infinite to me happens once and awhile. I wish that I could feel infinite all of the time. I also feel that as I get older I feel infintie less and less. Think about how much time we spend with friends as adolescents as adults we never get to spend time with friends. I believe people we care about make us feel infinite!

Posted by: Molly Reppe at April 28, 2006 1:43 PM

Music has the power to make me feel infinite. Music is my favorite thing in life and some times in the right setting it can make me feel like I don't even want to do anything else in my life besides lay and listen to whatever I am listening to at the time.

Posted by: Anonymous at April 30, 2006 2:47 PM

I forgot to put my name on my last comment. This is Brandon.

Posted by: Brandon Tuttle at April 30, 2006 2:49 PM